Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BolognaJoe

1. Back To Top    #1

BolognaJoe

Hello everyone, we just bought a house and it came with an above ground pool with a torn liner. We're fixing it next week and I'm looking forward to getting started with all this great advice. I had a pool as a kid and don't remember my dad doing much maintenance or testing, probably the reason my eyes always burned! I have two kids of my own and want to avoid that for them. All my internet searches about doing your own maintenance kept coming back to Trouble Free Pool and after reading pool school I'm on board. I have to be honest though, everyone I talk to looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I want to use bleach, wife included. Years of marketing I guess, the chemistry makes sense.

I'll post my initial test readings as soon as I get them, I know I'll need to add some FC, probably CYA right? I've read some other first timers post, people on this forum seems really helpful and kind, looking forward to taking part.
    15' x 30' 12,000 gallon, AG. Sand Filter XXX Brand. Installed ???, my guess is 1996. TF-100 Test Kit on the way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BolognaJoe

Welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! You have been reading! Congrats on your new test kit coming.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BolognaJoe
    everyone I talk to looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I want to use bleach, wife included.
    This is one of the hurdles that must be overcome. As you stated, the resistance is due to how bleach is marketed. Get past that, the chemistry makes complete sense.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP, BolognaJoe. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP Joe!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Well it took a while but I finally got the liner replaced and the pool is full of water. I just took my first readings with the daily kit from the TF-100, FC was at 0 and PH was 6.8. According to PoolMath I need to add a quart of bleach and 92oz of Borax for PH. I'll do that tonight and take another reading in 24 hours. I'll do the TA and CYA test tomorrow night, I'm just thinking I need to get the chlorine in their ASAP.
    15' x 30' 12,000 gallon, AG. Sand Filter XXX Brand. Installed ???, my guess is 1996. TF-100 Test Kit on the way.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BolognaJoe View Post
    Well it took a while but I finally got the liner replaced and the pool is full of water. I just took my first readings with the daily kit from the TF-100, FC was at 0 and PH was 6.8. According to PoolMath I need to add a quart of bleach and 92oz of Borax for PH. I'll do that tonight and take another reading in 24 hours. I'll do the TA and CYA test tomorrow night, I'm just thinking I need to get the chlorine in their ASAP.
    WHOA!

Poolmath can't calculate pH adjustments without TA readings. Don't start screwing up the chemistry right out of the gate. Make sure you get pH right.

Also, don't bother testing CYA. Tap water has none and yours is a fresh fill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for pointing that out before I made a mistake, looking at Poolmath again I see what you are saying. It assumed at TA of 100, I'll try to read more carefully in the future. I didn't have any Borax on hand anyway so I was going to the PH adujustments till tomorrow, I'll wait till I run the TA test.

11. Back To Top    #11

I did my TA test tonight and it came up with a TA of 20, pretty low. On Poolmath it says that adding baking soda to raise TA will also raise PH a little and at Pool School it says that adding Borax for PH will also raise TA a little. Considering my TA is way more out of range than my PH I'm thinking it's better to fix that value first, correct? Also is there a best time of day to add baking soda? I read I should spread it over the surface of the water, should my filter be on for this?
    Thanks!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

The pump should be on when adding any chemicals.

Yes, take TA up to 60ish and let it mix well. Brushing helps. Then recheck pH and TA again and adjust pH to 7.2 or so. Tomorrow recheck things again and fine tune. You don;t want to overshoot just in case the pool isn't as big as the manufacturer claims.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the help. I set my goal for 60 with pool math and the next day it tested 60, so all the numbers and levels are behaving as expected. So far so good!