Nothingallday

Mar 18, 2015
Maricopa, AZ
Hello. My first time asking a question of this forum. I am planning on adding a NG pool heater to our existing, six month old pool for next winter. What might be the best &/or optional gas pool heater. Our pool is approx. 15,000 IG, facing S. It is a salt pool which uses a Pentair IC 40 salt cell, a Pentair VS 3050 pump with a Pentair clean & clear 420 Cart filter. The pool perimeter is 99 ln. ft. with a surface area of 467 sq. ft. It has an in floor Q-360 cleaning system. The pool slopes from 3.5 ft. to a max of 5 ft and has one shear water feature. Our current readings have been steady at 3; 7.4; 80. We have a natural gas line installed next to the pool equipment which could support 400K BTUs. Not certain if I need a 400K unit ie Pentair vs Hayward or could get by with a smaller 250K unit. Also, as it is a salt system, do I need a heat exchanger that is less effected by corrosion such as a Cupro? Any and all responses welcomed. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Raypak seems to be the most recommended brand on the forum.

It is usually best to get the largest heater you can. Pools take a very long time to come up to temperature, and a larger heater will keep that time as short as possible.

A regular copper heat exchanger is just fine with standard SWG salt levels, i.e. around 3000 to 3500 ppm. The cupronickel heat exchangers are only needed for ocean water, which is around 35,000 ppm of salt.

Welcome to TFP!

I just responded to another post about heaters and the Raypak was highly recommended there as well. I have a Teledyne Laars heater that is around 25 years old and still works well. But I have no idea if their current products have the same build quality. They may or may not - I really haven't researched it.

JasonLion said:
It is usually best to get the largest heater you can. Pools take a very long time to come up to temperature, and a larger heater will keep that time as short as possible.
+1...well said, nothing to add.