Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Big hole in the liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Big hole in the liner

I know we will have to replace the liner but I'm hoping we could make it through this summer. We just drained and filled it. We have a big hole in the corner right at the top, I'll try to figure out how to post a pic. My husband tried patching it and says the adhesive ate through the liner and the patch. He used one from the pool store. Any suggestions? I'm desperate and grateful for any ideas.
    23k gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward S200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big hole in the liner

Quote Originally Posted by Anotheremail View Post
    I know we will have to replace the liner but I'm hoping we could make it through this summer. We just drained and filled it. We have a big hole in the corner right at the top, I'll try to figure out how to post a pic. My husband tried patching it and says the adhesive ate through the liner and the patch. He used one from the pool store. Any suggestions? I'm desperate and grateful for any ideas.
    What type of adhesive. Google patching vinyl liner and the brand "Boxer" and use that. You can start with one patch then put a bigger one over that and then another if needed.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

The adhesive should not have done that. Did they sell him a patch kit or separate items? Is your liner brittle and crumbly in the damaged area?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That doesn't sound right at all. How old is the liner? Did it dry out and become brittle before it was patched?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, he's not the brightest guy in the world. It could have been user error. I will attempt a patch myself tomorrow if you think it's possible. Should I have him put the strip of liner at the top back in?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea on the liners age. We bought this place 3 years ago.
    23k gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward S200

6. Back To Top    #6

If that were mine I would go to the pool store and see if they would sell you a scrap bit of vinyl maybe 2x2 ft and some vinyl adhesive and cover that entire area with it. Often stores that also sell pools will have scraps / old color sample swatches that they will sell for this purpose. If not try ebay, you can often get up to 4x4 ft pieces under $10 or so.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~