Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here, Need Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy New here, Need Advice

Need advice! I'm new here! My chlorine was very high for about a week. It has finally calmed down. But now my TA is 0. What should I do to raise the TA without messing anything up? Please help! Thanks in advance
    Here are my numbers~

TC~ 5
    FC~ 5
    PH~ 7
    TA~0
    CYA~ 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here, Need Advice

Welcome to TFP!

First question I have is, what are you testing with? I've never seen a test result of zero for TA, so that has me a little suspect.

Baking soda will increase TA but we need a high confidence level that what you are using to test is accurate before we can tell you how much to add.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok I'm using AquaChek 7 Pool & Spa test strips.

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, I have an AG, Sand filter, 18' Round, 52" deep

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

We here at TFP have very little confidence in test strips. They are known to be wildly inaccurate, as bad if not worse than pool store testing. This is why we always recommend you purchase a high quality test kit, either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. Accept no substitutes. In Pool School there is a section on these test kits. Strongly suggested that you read up on it. While we don't usually suggest that you use pool store testing, in this case it would do you good to have them test a sample while you are waiting for your test kit to arrive (hint that you should buy one!). This will give us a better idea of where your pool is at chemically.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will def buy one!! Glad to know!! Thank you!

AG, Sand Filter, 18' round, 52" deep, vinyl liner

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for your quick response and excellent pics.

I kinda' suspected you were using the strips. They are simply not precise enough to follow our methods. For example, note the range on TA...it goes from 0 to 40. In reality, your TA could be anywhere in between that. Yes, it's still low in either case. But there's not enough precision there for us to tell you how much baking soda you need to add to get it to where it needs to be.

I would suggest you get one of the Recommended Test Kits if you are serious about taking control of managing your pool.

Also, to give you an overview of the TFP process, I would suggest reading these two articles: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Pool Chemicals.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok great!! Thanks so much for your help! I am def going to buy one of the recommended test kits and I'll get back to you on my new test results🏼

AG, Sand Filter, 18' round, 52" deep, vinyl liner

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!i am happy to hear you will be buying a recommended test kit!there is a direct link in my signature.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Best bang for your buck would be the TF-100, from TFtestkits.net. More of the supplies you will use most often than in the K-2006. Same items, just more of them for little more $$. Also that's the best place to buy refills for either kit.

While you are waiting for your kit, please do read in pool school for what chemical levels work best for your pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach