Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total noob here...Free Chlorine went from high to zero over night

1. Back To Top    #1

Total noob here...Free Chlorine went from high to zero over night

I'm new to the pool world...but learning. I haven't spent as much time on here as I wanted but it's been a busy spring.

So I've used some bleach because my free chlorine was zero. Added some and bleach and the next day no real change. I then added quite a bit more since I had no movement. My pool runs 8 hours on pump cycle and is about 16,000 gallons...test the next day and I was worried because it was now off the charts. I added too much???

The next day I tested again...now I've got nothing again. Maybe a bad stick? Retest...same deal...nothing.

Now I know I'm cheating with the sticks...but I was looking for a cheap way to try my own pool care before diving into a kit. Plus I have two little boys who A. Love the sticks. B. Would be screwing with the kit endlessly.

Any thoughts? This is a salt water pool and I'm in the green on salt.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Total noob here...Free Chlorine went from high to zero over night

Welcome to TFP!

First you should never blindly add bleach.
    Second you really need a test kit. Strips are not accurate. I say get a kit, then let the boy have the strips so they can "test" the water.

What does your water look like?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by xr4ticlone View Post
    Now I know I'm cheating with the sticks...but I was looking for a cheap way to try my own pool care before diving into a kit
    First, welcome to TFP!

You aren't cheating, cheating is taking a math test with the answers on a piece of paper. Using test strips is like trying to take a math test with a calculator that spits out semi-random numbers. Without accurate numbers we have nothing to go on to help you...

PS: please add your state to your location.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

So the test strips are that unreliable? I thought I was stepping up from the pool store.

My kids are at the worst age for that...so I don't think that's possible.

I wasn't wholesale dumping...but I had an 'accidental' draining that took about 30% of the water out of the pool one morning...which might have been children related.

Water is clear...looks good. We fought a serious leaf and oak pollen situation earlier this spring when the pool was green. Also had a filter needed cleaning (learned from pool guy on that one)...but it looks like we're there otherwise.

Without getting into all the details, I have some special children considerations so if there is any way around a kit it would of huge interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...I'm guessing salt strips are also inaccurate?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The Aquacheck salt test strips are fairly reliable. For everything else you need a good reagent test kit. I like the TF-100 link is in my signature.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Test strips are actually worse than the pool store testing in my past experiences. I understand accidentally adding to much, but using test strips is like blindly adding.

Again you need a good test kit.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process