Broken Fixture

Jun 9, 2014
Danvers, MA
Hello,
I went to open my above ground pool and the fixture that attaches the hose to the filter is snapped. My ex closed the pool last year for me and I don't remember him mentioning this to me but he might have!

The part that snapped is attached to the housing for my filter and I'm not sure how to get it off?

11164841_10152746264251567_4424022403823660365_n.jpg11295701_10152746266026567_174262195377244851_n.jpg

I am no expert in plumbing but it looks to me like the part with the handle has a union that can be unscrewed.

The part that is still in the tank---------There is some sticking out on the top. What about on the bottom?

I will show this to my husband and get his input.

Hugs! We will find a way to get your pool going.

Kim

NO Smashing allowed!

I am thinking-----------do you have a rubber mallet (hammer with a big piece of rubber instead of metal)? Tap GENTLY counter clockwise (lefty loosey). See if you can get it to move that way.

I am hoping there are threads inside with teflon tape on them to stop it from leaking. If so it should twist out.

That is plan A. I am thinking on plan B.

Kim

That is definitely a serviceable ball valve (IE it comes apart where the big ring is on the side that broke off) so this can be fixed but getting the broken piece out of the filter is the first step. The putty in the threads is plumbers putty (a sealant) which should not be used on plastic fittings as it can degrade the plastic or expand and crack it. If that valve was closed through the winter it's likely that there was water trapped in that part and it froze and broke.

Now, you MIGHT be able to GENTLY clamp the broken portion with a pair of channel lock or vise grip pliers and back it out that way. Put the pliers on perpendicular to the fitting as close to the threads as possible and try to turn it (see the marked up picture below, excuse my crude drawing of pliers). If it doesn't seem like it wants to turn with just the pliers you can try gently tapping the pliers with a hammer. Be extremely careful that you don't break the rest of the fitting off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone! You're awesome. So I ran it over to the pool place today and they managed to get it out without breaking anything. And they only charged me $10! Phew.

Now to open my extremely green pool for the first time by myself. The liner was torn, got that replaced. Got this fixed. There are literally ducks in my pool at this moment. They won't be happy to see me, they're getting comfortable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.