Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken Fixture

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Fixture

Hello,
    I went to open my above ground pool and the fixture that attaches the hose to the filter is snapped. My ex closed the pool last year for me and I don't remember him mentioning this to me but he might have!

The part that snapped is attached to the housing for my filter and I'm not sure how to get it off?

11164841_10152746264251567_4424022403823660365_n.jpg11295701_10152746266026567_174262195377244851_n.jpg
    Kris Ann, Massachusetts

30' x 15'; AG; Cartridge; HP 2.0; Installed 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken Fixture

I am no expert in plumbing but it looks to me like the part with the handle has a union that can be unscrewed.

The part that is still in the tank---------There is some sticking out on the top. What about on the bottom?

I will show this to my husband and get his input.

Hugs! We will find a way to get your pool going.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes there is nothing on the bottom. Not sure how I could grab onto it to twist it out. Maybe smash it?
    Kris Ann, Massachusetts

4. Back To Top    #4

NO Smashing allowed!

I am thinking-----------do you have a rubber mallet (hammer with a big piece of rubber instead of metal)? Tap GENTLY counter clockwise (lefty loosey). See if you can get it to move that way.

I am hoping there are threads inside with teflon tape on them to stop it from leaking. If so it should twist out.

That is plan A. I am thinking on plan B.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You might also be able to get a rubber strap wrench around it and twist it out
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

There is some kind of putty in the threads.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no lip on the bottom (my picture doesn't show) so I couldn't get anything around it.
    Kris Ann, Massachusetts

7. Back To Top    #7

That is definitely a serviceable ball valve (IE it comes apart where the big ring is on the side that broke off) so this can be fixed but getting the broken piece out of the filter is the first step. The putty in the threads is plumbers putty (a sealant) which should not be used on plastic fittings as it can degrade the plastic or expand and crack it. If that valve was closed through the winter it's likely that there was water trapped in that part and it froze and broke.

Now, you MIGHT be able to GENTLY clamp the broken portion with a pair of channel lock or vise grip pliers and back it out that way. Put the pliers on perpendicular to the fitting as close to the threads as possible and try to turn it (see the marked up picture below, excuse my crude drawing of pliers). If it doesn't seem like it wants to turn with just the pliers you can try gently tapping the pliers with a hammer. Be extremely careful that you don't break the rest of the fitting off.

21K gallon, AG Vinyl 30' Round, Hayward Perflex EC50C92S DE Filter (25 sqft), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 50GPM Single Speed Pump, Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD Test Kit

"In God we trust, all others bring data."

8. Back To Top    #8

Pliers might brake that piece. The strap grabs more surface. Try it
    image_21782.jpg

Rubber strap wrench
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Love the drawing. A picture says a 1000 words.

Above all else go slow and easy.

Let us know what you try and what happens.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Pliers might brake that piece. The strap grabs more surface. Try it
    The strap wrench may have trouble getting a hold of the bottom part where it broke at an angle BUT Pysiek is correct. Try the strap wrench first.
    21K gallon, AG Vinyl 30' Round, Hayward Perflex EC50C92S DE Filter (25 sqft), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 50GPM Single Speed Pump, Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD Test Kit

"In God we trust, all others bring data."

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mopar440_6 View Post
    The strap wrench may have trouble getting a hold of the bottom part where it broke at an angle BUT Pysiek is correct. Try the strap wrench first.
    Pretty sure it will. But always good to try. I just wonder what filter is that? Maybe there is a nut on the other side
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone! You're awesome. So I ran it over to the pool place today and they managed to get it out without breaking anything. And they only charged me $10! Phew.

Now to open my extremely green pool for the first time by myself. The liner was torn, got that replaced. Got this fixed. There are literally ducks in my pool at this moment. They won't be happy to see me, they're getting comfortable.
    Kris Ann, Massachusetts

13. Back To Top    #13

10 bucks! What a ripoff! Evict the ducks and SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

QUACK! So have you found your best place to get bleach from? You are going to need lots of it to get rid of duck poo LOL

Let us know if you have ANY questions! Some one will know the answer!

Kim