Help! Numbers from pool dealer don't make sense!

May 25, 2015
Dyer, In
New to the forum just realized how much the pool place has been ripping us off! Testing kit ordered so I don't have to deal with them anymore. So here are the numbers from the first sample I brought to the pool place

Total Chlorine: 0.7
Free Chlorine: 0.2
PH 7.6
TA 129 (adjusted total alkalinity:86)
CH 69
CYA 143

So I followed the pool places recommendations and added 22.5lbs of baking soda (they said balance pak 100 but I learned my stuff on here), then added 2.25 lbs of Lo N Slo. Then two bags of burn out 35 to bring up chlorine residual. Water was still cloudy so started researching more on here and figured out CYA was too high. So I drained the pool 6 inches (I know I need to do more one of the posts I read to do it in stages. So after the partial drain and refill I took it back in and here are the new numbers:

Total Chlorine 2.2
Free Chlorine 0.5
TA 173 (adj. total alk 128)
CH 87
CYA 151

Why did the CYA go up? Was it the burnout I used before I drained. I know it wasn't going to bring the number all the way down to 50 but why did it go up?:confused:

Welcome to TFP!

You should stop depending on pool store advice and pool store testing. CYA should not have increased, which makes me suspect all of the rest of their testing. And the recommendation to raise TA was crazy. Your TA was already too high before you raised it. Which is not to mention that BurnOut 35 is the most expensive possible way to raise the FC level, with no advantages over several other approaches.

Welcome to TFP!

If you could post your pool information in your signature. Inground/aboveground, finish, size, some equipment basics, etc. It will help us to provide you with the best advice we can for your particular situation.

JasonLion is absolutely right on all accounts. BurnOut 35 is lithium hypochlorite, which is expensive and would be better replaced with sodium hypochlorite (that is, liquid chlorine). It definitely would not effect your CYA, so all of those numbers are suspect... Ok, they already were being pool store numbers. Glad you ordered a proper test kit, did you get the TF-100 or K-2006? Either are good, but the TF-100 will last you longer before needing refilled.

At this point, with questionable test results I wouldn't necessarily do any more water replacement, though it is likely you might need to do it. It would be best to hold off on any big changes until you have a good kit in hand. Do you have any way to measure your pH? That will probably be driven up by your high TA and if you can measure that yourself you can keep that in check now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.