Just When Things Couldn't Get Worse, Right?!

Jun 3, 2014
Birdsboro, PA
We purchased our home with AGP 3 years ago. Everything was going great and we love having a pool in our own yard. I followed all the steps on here for maintaining my pool and I was really impressed with myself!! Well apparently the previous owners didn't have an ounce of common sense with the building of the pool and mostly the area around the pool. After a crazy winter we went out to clean up the yard a little and realized the retaining wall was no longer standing and was in fact leaning on to our pool (It wasn't built properly at all and didn't have any water drainage in place). My husband took it down and we had someone come out yesterday and give us an estimate on a new wall. We had already purchased a new liner for our pool and were aware we'd have to take most of the pool down so they could access and install a new retaining wall. The gentleman that came out to give us an estimate on the new wall also installs pools and since our pool was in the process of being taken down for this project he mentioned that the tracks around the base of the pool were rusted as well as some of the interior pool wall around the return jet. His suggestion was that after ordering new tracks (and whatever else we find needs replacing) including sand that a new pool would be the best way to go. So here I sit with what I though was going to be a moderate project and is now turning into a huge ordeal. We don't mind getting a new pool (we currently have an oval and he suggested a round as they are cheaper and actually hold more water). I just don't know if I honestly need to replace my whole pool or if this is normal wear and tear (the pool was originally installed in 2009). Just looking for a little insight and trying to find the best way to get through this and have an enjoyable summer! Any thoughts or information would help greatly!

Here is my take on it from personal experience. Our first pool was here when we moved it. It was NOT in good shape at all. I had NO idea what I was doing but my husband loved it. I got pooled stored BAD! I had no idea of how a balanced pool should look or be. My CYA was SO high that it caused a liner failure of epic portions! A total wash out with me in the pool! Still scary with I think about it.

When we went to take down the whole thing (I was DONE with pools and NEVER wanted another one for the rest of my life!) we found the same thing as you--------rusted bottom rails, rusted bottom of the pool wall, rust around returns and such.

(never say never time) My husband missed the pool. It was a wonderful way for him to exercise without hurting his joints and such. Soooooooooooo I told him if he could find a way for me to keep the water good we would look into getting a new pool. Well of course he found TFP. I ordered a test kit BEFORE we ever ordered the pool to make sure I could really do it.

Once I knew I could do and understand the tests we started researching pools. What we found were the ones that did NOT have metal bottom retainers, uprights, caps, etc. We got one that used resin parts! We have had this pool for a couple of years and have had NO problems with rust! I have looked to make sure as there are a couple of areas that the sand tends to cover the bottom rail after a rain. I try to make sure to clean it off but.........I don't always get right to it.

All of that to say------I now love my pool! LOL I think that finding the pools with with NON-metal parts were key for us.

Good luck on what you decide to do.

Kim

How does the bottom of the pool wall look?

I guess what you have to ask yourself is---------compare the price of a new pool to the price of the pieces you will need to replace. See which one you want to go with.

You MIGHT be able to sand and paint the wall where it is rusted.

Kim

The bottom of the pool wall where it would sit in the track? I haven't even looked or thought of that. I'll go out and check now and hope there isn't any damage to that. I'm not even entirely sure if the rusted tracks extend the entire pool or just in the section where the retaining wall was. I'm hoping to just purchase a few new tracks and then at least get a few more years out of the pool. I also have no idea what brand pool this is. We bought it with the house and I haven't located any information telling me what it is so I can look into replacement parts.

Do you know who the maker of your pool is? That will be key in getting the parts you need.

The rust on the side of the wall----is it all the way through or just surface rust? I see some sanding and painting in your future!

Kim

If that is the worst of the rust on the bottom rails it should be fine. It looks like surface rust. You can probably clean that with some navel jelly and a wire brush. Maybe hit it with some rustoleum after you clean it up. As far as the rust on the wall under the return, you can patch that area with a sheet of stainless steel and cut a new return opening. You can also try cleaning it and see if it is surface rust as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.