Help With Plumbing

May 25, 2015
Manalapan, NJ
I had all of the equipment on the pool replaced this year (filter and pump). The inline chlorinator was replaced with a IC40 SWG and that's when the problems started. SWG wouldn't turn on, flow indicator. Several visits from the Pentair rep and reconfiguring the plumbing, it became clear that the problem is underground lines.

The suction line kept losing suction intermittently and switching the diverter valve to use suction side only filled the pump basket with air. In addition the pressure on the filter was showing above 25 at around 3000RMP on the pump.

The pool company said that it looks like I have flex pipe underground and it looks crushed. What they did was disconnect the skimmer and the suction from the pump, and threw a line over the deck into the water. Same problem. So they put both back, and tried the same with the return side. All problems went away immediately. No air in the basket, pressure down to ~10, SWG is running perfectly.

They are advising to replace the return lines, and since the way the digging would have to be done, replace the suction as well since they'll be passing that spot anyways.

Original plumbing is 1.5" and I'm asking them to replace with 2" pipes. The only thing that worries me at this point is when I asked them Sch 40 PVC or a roll of poly, they are recommending to go wit poly for a few reasons:
1) no joints as the can reach each point with a single roll.
2) not as susceptible to ground movement
3) the trench doesn't have to be as "nice" and flat as it would have to be for the rigid PVC, which translates into a lot less $$$s

Does any of this make sense, or should I insist on the ridging Sch 40 PVC?

Thanks in advance.

Rigid Schedule 40 PVC is better in every way. You had this problem in the first place because the previous install used flex. The price shouldn't be significantly different. Yes poly is cheaper, but it shouldn't be a large difference. Most of the cost/effort is in digging the trenches and filling them back up again. The actual plumbing work is minor compared to that.

This might be a good moment to get a bid from someone else.

Its easy to recommend sch 40 pvc throughout. Keep in mind, many ,many pool builders use the flex PVC without hesitation. There are no more problems with the flex pvc that rigid pvc. At this point you really do not know what caused the failure. I have 2 inch flex PVC from pool to equipment pad, I guess approximately 60 feet. I have no problems. Its your money, and my decision would come down to what the cost difference would be between the two materials. Just my .02
Technical Specifications Charts

There are no more problems with the flex pvc that rigid pvc. At this point you really do not know what caused the failure.
There most certainly are more problems with flex than with rigid. The failure rates are low in both cases, so most pools never have a problem, but flex pipe is much more likely to have a problem compared to rigid.

There most certainly are more problems with flex than with rigid. The failure rates are low in both cases, so most pools never have a problem, but flex pipe is much more likely to have a problem compared to rigid.

Respectfully disagree. How many times do we see a leak from a buried cracked fitting because rigid sch 40 PVC was used? (more joints, more fittings needed) I see that more on this forum than any failures with Flex PVC. Anyway Its my belief 6 one way, 1/2 a dozen the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.