Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, ON

CYA test

Does anyone have an opinion on the accuracy of the CYA test?

To me this one seems highly dependent on the person doing the testing and two different testers could get very different results depending on when they think the dot is obscured - or not.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: CYA test

In my experience, using the TF-100, it does take a time or two to become consistent with the process. Shaking the solutions, measuring them out, and holding it at waist level the same way every time. Then your mind plays tricks on you when staring at that little dot. Even the instructions say it takes a little practice. But if you are doing it yourself, you're guaranteed to do a better job "consistently" than any pool store would do for you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cincinnati, OH

Take a look at post #8 in the extended test instructions at Extended Test Kit Directions . Last line in the notes section shows precision information.

Lots of good reading in this entire sticky in the Testing and Balancing Board.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

4. Back To Top    #4
    NW Ohio

It is one of the lowest precision and easiest tests to mess up in the kit, no question. However, it is also the most accurate CYA test available to the home user. Test strips are the only other home option as of now and they are far less precise and even more prone to user error.

It takes some practice, but you can get consistent results. Follow the extended directions posted above.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a pool n separate hot tub. When I got this test kit last year, I felt same way as you. This year I used the test kit on my hot tub. After only using the spa store chemicals (same BS as pool store supplies) the cya was way high. It was clear on the test. I even had to do the diluted test for the fun of it. When the dot is gone it's gone. It is a good test and does work.
    Using Tapatalk