Another Frustrated Pool Owner

72 hours in and the pool isn't following any patterns (not that I expected it to). I'm checking it about every 8 hours. Sometimes the FC drops 1 and sometimes it drops 15. From 7am to 3pm seems to be the biggest drop. There usually isn't a drop of more than 2-3 between 3pm and 10pm. Between 10pm and 7am was a 0 drop the first night but ~10 the following 2 nights.

CYA dropped to 55 due to a couple heavy rains. I bumped it back up to 70 today. We also drained the spa into the pool and manually cleaned up what looks like sand at the bottom. Does dead algae look like dark sand?

We also cleaned the filter (not horrible since I cleaned it a couple weeks ago) and we vacuumed the bottom of the pool. We've been brushing the entire pool at least once a day. So far the water has turned from a dark green to a turquoise color. Other than that we haven't noticed any improvement. Should I be worried about additional issues? The pump is moving water like normal. The filter is definitely taking debris out of the water. Our Polaris isn't picking anything up (maybe the particles are too fine?).

So far I think I've gone through 16 gallons of chlorine. I have 7 more on hand and will pick up some more tomorrow. So far Lowes seems to be the cheapest (10% gallon for $3.79).

The more times a day you test and adjust the chlorine back to 28 the better. Pump should be running 24/7 and brush the pool once a day.

More chlorine loss,is to be expected during the day as you are using it to both the algae and the sun.

It takes time to clear up. While some happen quickly, many foe weeks before they turn.

I've been SLAM'ing for 12 days and today is the first day the pool looks normal. I know the SLAM guide says 3 criteria. My water is clear and my CC is 0.5. I'm doing a test tonight and tomorrow morning to check FC drop.

There is some algae scale still in spots on the floor and steps. Should I continue to SLAM until the scale is gone or will continued brushing be enough?

Also, for future shock levels, do you guys recommend the TFP shock recommendations or the poolcalculator.com shock levels? TFP says 20 and poolcalculator says 28. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.