New to TFP with questions

May 25, 2015
Bellaire, OH
Happy Memorial Day! Ive been a pool owner for 4 years and haven't had trouble till opening this year. I've always used BioGuard products and relied on our pool store for water testing. Had a terrible algae problem when first opening, shocked and turned on the pump only to discover some mechanical issues. While waiting for replacement parts we had another algae outbreak. Got everything up and running, shocked again which turned our water from green to severely cloudy and opague. Began a partial drain and refill hoping that would help, which it didn't. Currently I can only see about a foot into the water. I stumbled onto this site while searching cloudy water issues. I'm sold!
I've ordered a test kit based on the recommendations on the site and it should be here mid week. I also bought several jugs of liquid chlorine to have on hand initially and have read through Pool School.
My question is, should I add some of the liquid chlorine without being able to first test my water? I don't want another terrible algae outbreak.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on buying your own test kit also!
We will be able to better help you once you have your test kit. For now I would add 2 ppm of bleach a day until you have your test kit.

Do you have any idea what your CYA level is?

That's why I was questioning adding things blindly again while waiting for the testing kit
Short of pouring a little bleach in the pool each day because it makes you feel better, please resist the temptation to blindly pour chemicals or any magic potion a pool store or neighbor says you might need. You can always add it later if you really need it, but getting things out of the water is difficult.

I have no idea what any of my chemical levels are ( hangs head in shame! Lol) That's why I was questioning adding things blindly again while waiting for the testing kit

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

No need for that. Lesson learned and more to come. When you get your kit and some numbers, there will be plenty of us here to help you. Start reading up in Pool School. Start with the ABC's and work from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.