Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for information or reviews on the Dolphin

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for information or reviews on the Dolphin

We just went to our local pool store where they sell the dolphin. They only had three.. The m200, m400, and one that said supreme (can't remember what came after the word supreme). Anyway the m400 was 1200.00 dollars I think but I can't find reviews or anything about the m200 or the other one. We're not looking to spend 1200.00. Does anyone have a clue about the m200 model, and are these good robotic cleaners? I've read something about black marks on vinyl so I'm not sure how valid those issues are. I really want to avoid ordering online and would much rather buy from the local store if I can. Tia!!
    7+ years, inground, 25,000 gallon, vinyl, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for information or reviews on the Dolphin

Those are the new model numbers. The M400 equates to last years M4. I have an M5, but if I were going to do it again I'd get the Z5 which is the internet sales version of the M5.

Maytronics uses the "mattress" model number system where few retailers compete against each other because of multiple model numbers for similar units.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I notice they are much cheaper online. Do you guys recommend buying online? We like the nautilus but the stores don't have that one near us and we are debating buying online through Amazon. If you buy online do you still get the warranty? I also worry about repairs in which you'd have to ship it all the way back. Any advice?

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an M4 supreme and highly recommend the dolphin cleaners. Had a Heyward tigershark before they and it is much better.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

The warranty issue buying online is complicated, and depends on the model. Basically you don't get warranty if you buy a dealer only model online unless the company selling is offering it with an in house warranty. Others are covered if sold by an authorized dealer, so I would suggest sticking with the big guys if you are concerned about warranty, or consider some of the ebay deals out there at significant discount if you are not worried about warranty coverage.

p.s. I had an older Dolphin design the Diagnostic Pro until a couple of weeks ago, my new Aquabot Turbo T (bought off ebay) runs circles around it, faster, better cleaning, ....
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Buying online is fine but you need to be aware of possible warranty issues.
    Depending on which online site you purchase from and which cleaner you select, you may or not get full warranty.

Its complicated and is a result of competition between brick and mortar stores vs online ones.

Amazon is the toss of a coin, because you dont actually know in most cases, exactly where the cleaner is coming from.

As a FYI,
    I have a nautilus and its a great basic cleaner. Does a great job on bottom, and sides, and is easy to remove and clean the filters.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Buying online is fine but you need to be aware of possible warranty issues.
    Depending on which online site you purchase from and which cleaner you select, you may or not get full warranty.

Its complicated and is a result of competition between brick and mortar stores vs online ones.

Amazon is the toss of a coin, because you dont actually know in most cases, exactly where the cleaner is coming from.

As a FYI,
    I have a nautilus and its a great basic cleaner. Does a great job on bottom, and sides, and is easy to remove and clean the filters.
    Thanks guys! Gonna buy the nautilis plus from an online dealer that offers a two-year warranty.

Has anyone had trouble with these robots, in particular the Dolphin line, leaving black marks on vinyl?

8. Back To Top    #8

Suzie,
    no. No black marks on the liner. No one on this forum who has a nautilus has had that issue.
    There was one guy who said he knew someone that knew someone. I remember that post vividly and who made it. ...... so lets put this rumour to rest. It dont happen.

I have white steps in my IG vinyl pool and the Nautilus tries to get up on them too. And there are no black marks on my steps either.

I think the Nautilus is a very good basic cleaner for a reasonable price.

Maytronics in general seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation for reliability and longeviety.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Very good Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Having owned both Maytronics, and Aquabot now, it seems Aquabot consumables (tracks, brushes, etc.) cost a lot less at real world mail order prices, if not MSRP. Something you may wish to compare on the models you are thinking about.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

I actually got the Dolphin DX3S this summer for our first ever in ground pool purchase (that came with a house)

Used it for the first time this weekend and it was FANTASTIC! first pass through the pool and it got everything visible off the bottom and even climbed up to the water line throughout the 16x40 lazy l pool!

We did buy it online through poolsupplyworld and it did come with the warranty (confirmed through a call to maytronics) has two sets of filter cartridges, one fine screen and another paper type cartridge.

I would definitely recommend it!
    Steve
    22,041 IG Vinyl Fiberglass Steps (Built 1990-ish), Dura-Glas Pump, Baker II Series Sand Filter HR-24, TF100 Test Kit w/speedstir
    475 Gallon Caldera Utopia Series Geneva 6 person spa
    Mount Pleasant Wi.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought the Dolphin M400 about 3 weeks ago, best investment ever....that thing rocks. Gonna have so much more time to enjoy the pool this year
    21K Gallon, IG Vinyl, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward 425 sq ft Cartridge Filter C4030 (flow rate 150GPM), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward 250K Gas Heater
    Completed Oct 2013 in Vancouver, BC