How do I automate to control from phone/PC?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool and system are about 8 years old. I have a Jandy Lite2 heater and Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG. The Lite2 is used to control the pump and (obviously) to control temperature. I would like to be able to remotely control the heater to turn it on or off, adjust the temperature or adjust the timer, ideally from an iOS app or a web UI. It would also be nice to be able to control the SWCG from the app/web.

What do I need to do this? I believe that Jandy (AKA Zodia) sells something called the Aqualink Z4. But there are several models - which one do I need? I am guessing the ZQ-4PI. Will they work with my system and what all can I control with this?

How hard are they to install?

I see them listed for prices from $650-$1000. And why are they so darned expensive? This isn't rocket science in 2015.

It isn't rocket science, it's pool science and pool science isn't cheap. A good automation system installed would cost over $2K and have the option for the iPhone/Android control. Do some more research and look at other brands like the Pentair Easytouch. In my opinion, one of the better automation systems out there today.

Will Pentair Easytouch integrate with my Jandy/Zodiac system, especially the Lite2 heater?

I have a lot of home automation gear as I am a major geek. But the price tag for pool automation seems seriously steep compared to other home automation devices, like Philips Hue lighting, IrrigationCaddy or Rach.io irrigation systems, door locks, etc. I have these types of devices, plus a whole lot more, and a Control4 controller that is the heart of my HA system.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it but all you need to do in this instance is read a temperature and flip a couple of relays, one for pump on/off and another for heater on/off. To be paying close to $1000, especially after installation, seems pretty steep given the modest amount of hardware and software required. But I get that the market is still pretty small for this stuff.

If I could find a way to control the Lite2 from relays I could build something myself using a Raspberry Pi and for a total of about $60 worth of components. It would be even easier if the pool heater would output a temperature over RS-232 or some other interface. Same with the SWCG.

For Internet pool control you either spend over $1000 for a ready to go system, or you do a fair bit of DIY adaptation of some less expensive home automation system that is not specifically designed to control a pool.

How easy is it to control the heat on/off switch and the pump on/off using a relay If that isn't too tricky then I might try the DIY solution using either my Control4 system or a Raspberry Pi.

Just about any heater can be switched on/off with a low voltage, relatively low current, relay. It works best if you do your own temperature tracking and turn the heater on/off as needed, though that is not usually required.

The pump needs a high voltage, high current, but still very standard, relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.