Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I automate to control from phone/PC?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I automate to control from phone/PC?

My pool and system are about 8 years old. I have a Jandy Lite2 heater and Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG. The Lite2 is used to control the pump and (obviously) to control temperature. I would like to be able to remotely control the heater to turn it on or off, adjust the temperature or adjust the timer, ideally from an iOS app or a web UI. It would also be nice to be able to control the SWCG from the app/web.

What do I need to do this? I believe that Jandy (AKA Zodia) sells something called the Aqualink Z4. But there are several models - which one do I need? I am guessing the ZQ-4PI. Will they work with my system and what all can I control with this?

How hard are they to install?

I see them listed for prices from $650-$1000. And why are they so darned expensive? This isn't rocket science in 2015.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How do I automate to control from phone/PC?

It isn't rocket science, it's pool science and pool science isn't cheap. A good automation system installed would cost over $2K and have the option for the iPhone/Android control. Do some more research and look at other brands like the Pentair Easytouch. In my opinion, one of the better automation systems out there today.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Will Pentair Easytouch integrate with my Jandy/Zodiac system, especially the Lite2 heater?

I have a lot of home automation gear as I am a major geek. But the price tag for pool automation seems seriously steep compared to other home automation devices, like Philips Hue lighting, IrrigationCaddy or Rach.io irrigation systems, door locks, etc. I have these types of devices, plus a whole lot more, and a Control4 controller that is the heart of my HA system.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it but all you need to do in this instance is read a temperature and flip a couple of relays, one for pump on/off and another for heater on/off. To be paying close to $1000, especially after installation, seems pretty steep given the modest amount of hardware and software required. But I get that the market is still pretty small for this stuff.

If I could find a way to control the Lite2 from relays I could build something myself using a Raspberry Pi and for a total of about $60 worth of components. It would be even easier if the pool heater would output a temperature over RS-232 or some other interface. Same with the SWCG.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

4. Back To Top    #4

For Internet pool control you either spend over $1000 for a ready to go system, or you do a fair bit of DIY adaptation of some less expensive home automation system that is not specifically designed to control a pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How easy is it to control the heat on/off switch and the pump on/off using a relay If that isn't too tricky then I might try the DIY solution using either my Control4 system or a Raspberry Pi.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just about any heater can be switched on/off with a low voltage, relatively low current, relay. It works best if you do your own temperature tracking and turn the heater on/off as needed, though that is not usually required.

The pump needs a high voltage, high current, but still very standard, relay.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School