New from Alabama

May 25, 2015
Calera, AL
Hey I found this forum while searching for information on installing and AG pool. My wife really wants a pool and I have to kids who would enjoy it too. I wouldn't mind one myself but I am clueless.

I don't want to offend anyone right off the bat but I'm not crazy about the looks of an AG just sitting there in the yard. I do like the look better of one (especially oval) buried halfway with a deck around it. My wife was looking at some of the budget friendly pools but I'm skeptical of these cheaper kits. I don't want to invest the money in something that is cheaply made and won't last. I'm also leary of the quality of the pumps and filters that come with these kits.

I found an article that spoke highly of the Buster Crabbe pools with the aluminum walls but I can't find a price.

I guess my big question is what is an average cost for a quality AG pool? I'm most interested in a 15x30 but a 24' round would do the job.

I really prefer a pool with a deep end, and I'm going to do some research on that too. If I could get an in ground pool for not much more I'd rather save a little longer and go that route.

If it helps, my father in law owns several backhoes and digs pools on the side for local companies sometimes. He has experience working on pools as well.

I'm confident that if there is some sort of in ground kit we could save the labor cost and do it ourselves. (I'm a plumber)

Anyway I'd just like to hear some input if you have a minute. I really appreciate it. I should have mentioned but my yard is all red Alabama clay, and it's large and flat.

Thanks,
Joey

Hi, welcome to TFP! You seem to have some decent resources at your disposal so you have a lot of options. There are inground kits you can buy to build a DIY liner pool. We also have several threads on this sight where people have built their own gunnite pools as well. As far as above ground pools go, if you want to partially bury one, you need to buy one made for this purpose to avoid voiding the warranty. Doughboy pools are usually rated for inground installation. There are plenty of above ground pool install videos on youtube you can watch and see if this is something you would like. Google above ground pool dealers in your area so you can go inspect some models before you decide what you want to buy.