Help Cleaning the swamp.

RiFisher

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Southeastern NC
I have not run my pool for 2 years and would like to run it this year. Last time I ran it I used the TFP process. Needless to say I was sold back then and still sold. Have had it about 12 years and used to use the PS to start up and just got tired of all the money I was spending each year. That is when I first discovered TFP. Thanks for everyones help in the past and in the future.

This is what it looks like now.
unnamedHD2DSPER.jpg

I have a TF100 test kit that is 2 years old. Is it still good? It has been stored in the house.

I tested the water last night and these are the results I got.

FC put in 3 scoopes and didn't change color
PH 8.2
TA 60
CYA 0

Haven't got the pump running yet that is todays project.

Step I need to take I think and please correct me if I am incorrect.
Get pump running.
Add cya in a sock in the skimmer.
Adjust PH not sure what to do here. Help please.
TA not sure about this one either.
Then SLAM it. I have 40 jugs of bleach on hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome back!!

You have a good grip on the methods, but the only thing I would modify is when you add your CYA. Once the pump is running get the pH down to 7.2 using muratic acid. Then, calculate how much bleach will get your pool to 5.0 FC. Add that while the pump is ruining and continue to run it for 30 minutes. retest the FC at the end of the 30 minutes to see if yo have any left. If the FC disappears almost as quickly as you pour it in you may have CYA converted to ammonia. If this is the case you will want to hold off on adding the CYA until the FC begins to hold inthe water.

Use Pool Math for all your calculations

Here's what I would do, in order:
  1. Get pump running
  2. Reduce pH to around 7.2 using muriatic acid (MA). Add in a slow stream in front of a return jet when pump is on. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add.
  3. Add FC as Tim suggested and retest after 30 min. CYA can sometimes get converted to ammonia. Ammonia will consume FC at a prodigious rate. It's not common but we want to rule it out. FC will be consumed in a green pool, but you should have at least some FC after 30 min.
  4. Clear as much debris as possible from the pool.

Don't worry about TA right now - focus on getting the pool cleared up.

I have a TF100 test kit that is 2 years old. Is it still good? It has been stored in the house.
Yes, in all likelihood it is good especially since you stored it in the house.

Thanks a lot for the help this morning. Put 56 oz of muriatic acid in this afternoon and brought the PH to 7.5 Should I give it a little more or wait for a couple days and check it again. Put 6 121oz jugs of bleach in and brought the CL up to 14. Checked it 30 minutes later and it was 12. I think I will try to vacuum to waste in the morning. I can see the bottom in some spots so I can tell there is still slug down there don't seem to be getting any leaves out of it any more with the net. Also start the cya in the sock in the skimmer and then Slam it. What FC level should I try to maintain not sure with 0 cya in it. Need some help.
Thanks in advance.

Holding FC like that shows me no ammonia. Like you say, get the CYA in a sock in the skimmer targeted for 30. Let the FC drift below 10 so you can get another good pH reading and adjust it down to 7.2

SLAM away.

Day 1 target FC of 10
Day 2 assume the 30 CYA is there an target 12 FC

Tim,
I was just checking the pool math and figured why the FC went up to 14 when I was shouting for 5. I made a mistake added to much bleach. I think I have a handle on the bleach now.
For the cya I am coming up with 6.5 lbs. I need to add. Would you be so kind to check my math. Would You try to add all this at the same time or add 4 lbs and check it again. Sorry to have so many questions but I sure do appreciate the help.

The math seems right at 6.5 The problem with less is that 30 is about the lower limit of the test. 4 pounds may not even show up as it's below 20. Now, with that being said, you may have 20 there now, just not registering. Your choice, either will work. Jus starting day 2 target FC for what you think you are adding for CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok here are the numbers from tonight.

CL 13
PH 7.2
CYA 1 sock of CYA in each skimmer basket. 2 total Probably have to do this again because all the 6 lbs wouldn't go in two socks.
I'll get a full set of numbers tomorrow.
Vacuumed to waste twice today think bottom is pretty clear right now.
Any advice for tomorrow?
Here are a couple pictures from late this evening. 1st picture is the shallow end and the second picture is from the shallow end to the diving board. The deep end still looks kind of brown.
20150526_203054.jpg
20150526_203127.jpg

Squeeze those socks a few times per day to speed the process. PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. Adjust up your shock target level based on the new CYA level.

Pool looks a LOT better!

Need a little help and an update.
Numbers from this morning.
C 9
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 25

The deep end of the pool is not crystal clear. I can see the bottom very well but still looks hazy.
I know the TA is low. I have some sodium bicarbonate on hand. Should I add this to raise the TA and if I do is this going to effect my PH.
I checked the chlorine Last night at 10:30 and it was 9. Checked it this morning about 7:00 and it was still 9.
Pool is eating a lot of chlorine about 2 jugs of 8.25 per day.

Thanks for all your help so far. I need a little boost now to get me there.
20150614_083641.jpg
picture from deep end to shallow end.
20150614_083723.jpg
from shallow end to deep end.

If your PH is stable then leave the TA alone. Have your pulled the light, scrubbed nooks and crannies in steps and places where algae likes to hide? Raise your CYA another 10ppm or so to help with loss to sunlight.

Maybe add DE to the filter to get the last bit of little stuff. Here's how, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Looking good, 0 CC and 0 OCLT is great.

Thanks I think I have scrubbed everything pretty good will check again. I am still seeing what looks like dirt in bottom of pool in a few places not near as much as a week ago. This is dead algae correct? Thanks so much for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.