Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainwater affecting chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainwater affecting chlorine

How much does rainwater affect FC. I would expect a small drop if I don't have to backwash pool. But that all I would expect is this correct?
    24' 52" intex-----gone

18x33x54 ABG 7 ft deep end buried 2 ft in the back breaking hard red clay
    Hayward 20 in sand filter 1.5 hp power flo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainwater affecting chlorine

I am to recall that if you are expecting a lot of rain you should raise your FC a little. Normal rainfall should have no impact if your numbers are right.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure how many gallons your pool is, but generally unless it's a small monsoon rain doesn't affect the chemistry that much.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Funny thing is Im not sure on how many gallons my pool is. The way I figure it is length(18) x width(33) x average depth(5.25) x 5.9 its 18399 gallons. So that's the number I been working with. What my problem is that Im overseas and my pool is losing the FC every day which tells me the chlorine is being eating up. My wife is telling me that its from all the rain we been having. But I have learned better here. Unfortunately I have been trying to get her to start up the pool while I'm over here. Because I turned the hose off and declared the pool full right before she brought me to the airport
    24' 52" intex-----gone

5. Back To Top    #5

A single rainy day will have virtually no effect on your pool chemistry. Unusually heavy or persistent rains over a long period of time (like we've had lately) can cause some dilution in FC. But, odds are, that there is some other factor in play if you are losing a substantial amount of FC every day. Even with the heavy rains that we've had lately, it has been punctuated with periods of sun and that will cause some FC loss which is typical. I would run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test whenever a rain-free night is forecast just to get some insight as to what's going on.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Without test results it's hard to say. Did you add any stabilizer after you turned the hose off? The sun will eat up the chlorine without the proper amount of stabilizer.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

No matter what, there is going to be FC loss every day. It gets burned off by sunshine and UV. So some FC loss is expected. Every pool is different, so dependiing upon specific circumstances, you can expect anywhere from 1-3 ppm loss per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellybbb View Post
    What my problem is that Im overseas and my pool is losing the FC every day which tells me the chlorine is being eating up. My wife is telling me that its from all the rain we been having.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Debris washed into the pool will increase chlorine demand. If you are getting enough rain that the pool is overflowing the fresh water dilution will lower FC as well. Just have her test daily and add chlorine as needed. If it is not raining, run an overnight test to see if anything else is going on.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I would also love an OCLT IF I could get my wife out of bed before 10. I am going to show her this thread so she might believe me that its not the rain. I have had her add CYA to the pool by using poolmath but I didn't let her put the full amount in so it has some but not what supposed to have. I can barley get her to use the ph test much less a CYA test. Iam going to just have her maintain till I get home in two weeks. Please keep your fingers crossed.
    24' 52" intex-----gone

10. Back To Top    #10

Normal rain is no issue, but 2" in half an hour (Thursday evening) will cause a big mess! Re-tested and chlorine was a bit low. Easy fix.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG