please help me with my numbers

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

I opened my pool this weekend to water that was just beginning to cloud up and I dumped some of the pool cover water in
:( oh well, stuff happens! Anyway, we filled it back up to the mid skimmer level and turned on the pump. After testing the water I had low ph 6.8 and .5 CC, 0 chlorine, CYA of less than 20 it was clear all the way to the top of the tube and a TA of 100. I am not sure if this makes a difference, but I used last years testing kit (TF100) and the R0870 powder was kind of crystally.

Anyway I added some shock I had from last year's supply that the pool store gave us when we bought our pool. The next day it was clear and my readings were:

ph 7.0
CC .5
FC 4.5
TA 130

I added about a cup of chlorine and 2 lbs of stabilizer in a sock near my return. My over night test showed a chlorine loss of about 1 - 1.5 and a CC of .5 I know I'm not supposed to test my CYA yet,but I couldn't help myself. It clouded up and I think I am near 20.

My question is after all of this should I continue to shock the pool b/c of the iffy overnight chlorine loss? Should I use the new test kit I ordered or keep using my old one from last year, and should I add borax to raise my PH or just aerate? Also what order should I be doing all of this. Thanks!!!

Last year's test kit reagents should be fine. I'm using some of last year's reagents from the TF100 and am getting reliable test results.

should I add borax to raise my PH or just aerate
Aeration will work - it may just take a little longer. Since pH is currently out of our recommended range, I would get it up to at least 7.2 using Washing Soda / Soda Ash (note: this is not the same as Baking Soda). Use the Pool Math tool to determine how much to add. Once you're at that level, aerating will help push it up a bit further without adding any more chemicals.

The 2 lbs of granular CYA that you added should bring the CYA up to the high 30's. Although it may take up to a week for newly-added CYA to appear on a test, if it's been 24 hours or more since you added it, I would dose the FC assuming that the CYA is all in the pool. Use the Chlorine CYA Chart to determine the appropriate level of FC.

You are definitely on the cusp of when we recommend to SLAM Process. But before committing to a SLAM, I would first keep FC on the high side of what we recommend for normal maintenance - maybe even a point or two higher for a day or so and then redo the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. In situations like you are describing, maintaining a slightly elevated FC level for a day or so may be all your pool needs for coming out of its winter dormancy.

Ok its been a week since I posted and I have not quite been slamming my pool (no time with work), but I have been upping the chlorine as my numbers were on the edge over the weekend. So my FC was 13.5 on Monday night with an overnight loss of 1 on Tuesday morning and a CC of.5,
Tuesday night FC 12.5 and Wed. morning I kept getting different numbers from 10.5 to 12.5 (not sure why that is - I lost track a few times counting but still...) anyway CC was 0
Wednesday night FC 12.5 CC 0 Thursday morning FC 12-12.5 with CC 0
Thursday and today is where it went weird again
Thursday night went to bed with a headache and left pool at FC 5.5 -6 and CC 0
Today at 530 am FC 4.5 CC .5 ph 7.8 (I added a box of Borax last week to raise my ph from below 6.8) TA 140-150 and CYA was 50 (last week I add 2 lbs of stabilizer in a sock and it was gone by Sunday)

I added chlorine and tested again at 830 am FC of 17.5 and my CC 0 When I came home and checked at 730 pm my FC was 8 CC.5 and TA 140-150 and my CYA was 20 (that's weird isn't it)

I don't like that my CC keeps going to .5 and there may or may not be a 1.0 loss overnight -last year I never had my CC register until the end of the season - I slammed it before closing and my numbers went back to normal.

I was going to SLAM it this weekend, test it every few hours and see what happens. What do you think?

Ok here are my numbers for this morning. It has been raining out, so I am not sure if that effects anything.
Last night:
FC8.0
CC .5
TA 140-150
CYA ?? was 50 Friday am, but Fri night was less than 20?

This morning 630 am
FC 7.5 -8.0
CC .5 -0
TA - 150 -160
CYA 20

AM I clear even with a CC of .5
Can TA increase like that and why?
What's the deal with my CYA?

Last edited:
TA could increase a little from the aeration with the rain. Not sure about the CYA dropping, that is weird. Are you confident in following the test process? Is the water clear or cloudy? I think I would bump up FC to 10-12 for a couple of days. Are you trying to swim this weekend?

What about PH?

Thanks for responding - CYA test is hard - last year I don't think I ever got it above 20, but my chlorine levels were ok and CC never made it to .5 until end of season. Anyway this year when I had the reading of 50 it was definitely cloudy; I did it twice. This morning when I had the reading of 20 (or below) the water was cloudy in the tube, but the darned black dot never disappeared.

My pool water is very clear but I probably won't be swimming this weekend temps in the 50's :( and raining. I do need to vaccuum, flower stems from pear tree are in the bottom of the pool and some residual dirt from last week's vacuuming settled back down.

ph is 7.8 a little darker pink but not 8.2 that has been holding steady since Monday afternoon.

also if you think I should raise my chlorine to 10 or 12 for a few days do you mean don't let it go past that i.e. slam?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
During a SLAM it is better to have PH at 7.2 when you begin. It will rise during the SLAM with aeration. It will likely be very high once you finish your SLAM. You could go ahead and add MA to target to lower it since you have your numbers from this morning. You won't be able to test it though until your FC is below 10 though. Your TA is high so it will rise back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.