Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure cleaner pump configuration question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure cleaner pump configuration question

Hi, my pool runs a flooded system (pipes and all equipment are well below water level) so no issues with pumps needing to prime. I have just bought a new booster pump for my Polaris pressure cleaner to replace the clapped out spa pump it is currently using. The Polaris manual specifies that the booster pump should be plumbed in upstream of the SWG, which seems primarily to be to avoid air bubbles in the pump. As my system is flooded, is this really a concern?

I'd prefer to plumb it downstream of the SWG so that I can run my 3 speed Viron pump at the lowest speed. If I plumb it upstream of the SWG it reduces the flow through the chlorinator to the point where a large air/gas bubble accumulates in it, which is a concern. Any thoughts on whether I should strictly adhere to the manual?
    45,000 L (10,000 gal) pebblecrete pool, Hurlcon Viron P320 variable speed pump, Hurlcon VX9T SWG, Waterco 21" sand filter, Polaris 3900 Sport with booster pump and tailsweep pro retrofit. Pool has a rock waterfall that is in desperate need of a re-build (currently more like a soil-water-slurry-fall). Sunbather solar heating that is also not operational (perished solar blankets).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure cleaner pump configuration question

The higher FC level from being after the SWG can damage the pool cleaner over time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pressure cleaner pump configuration question

Thanks Jason, that did occur to me too. What components would you imagine would be affected? The pump internals seem pretty robust and there are not many moving parts within the cleaner that are directly in contact with the delivery water. I could see how the leaf bag might deteriorate faster.