Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool, new to forum

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool, new to forum

New pool guy here. Pool started great, now not so much. Here's my question, the piping that goes into my filter cartridge housing is leaking. What do I use to seal the leak? Will basic pvc cement work?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool, new to forum

What kind of equipment is it? What kind of plumbing? Is it a union, elbow, tee? A pic would help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Silly question, how do I post pics? Also, it is the pipe that goes directly into the filter housing. A Pentair CCP420.
    19.5k gallon, plaster, .75 WhisperFlo pump, Pentair ccp420 420 sq ft cartridge filter,aris Watermatic G1000 Chlorinator, Purex triton 400 mini max plus water heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a photobucket account and you can copy and paste the img link in your post.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Many pool fittings like filter housings, pumps, pool valves, etc. require the use of special CPVC glue when glueing to PVC pipe, not just standard PVC glue that is used between the white PVC joints.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

19.5k gallon, plaster, .75 WhisperFlo pump, Pentair ccp420 420 sq ft cartridge filter,aris Watermatic G1000 Chlorinator, Purex triton 400 mini max plus water heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Those are union fittings, there shouldn't be any silicone or caulk on that joint. Unscrew the fitting and there is an o-ring in there that probably needs to be replaced. Looks like a Pentair filter to me. There is a pic of mine in my build thread in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

This has a pipe that the union screw to that is already in the housing. That is where it leaking from. I did tighten the union and used Magic lube on the O rings

9. Back To Top    #9

So if the leak is not in the union but in the pipe coming out of the filter, do I use the CPVC Glue.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't know how the pipe in the filter housing is mounted to the housing. I've never paid attention to that.

According to this manual it is also an o-ring fitting
    http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...filters-27.htm

There is a parts list, you should be able to find the manual for your specific filter and order replacement fittings.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Pooldv, you rock! Thank you so much, this info is invaluable. Sorry it took so long to respond, working 3 jobs keeps me pretty busy these days.

12. Back To Top    #12

BTW welcome to TFP !

13. Back To Top    #13

Busy indeed! Gotta make that pool money!
    TFP Moderator