Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So here are my numbers from today.

Salt 2800ppm
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 0? (The K-2006 kit says to pour the cloudy solution in until the black dot disappears, but my solution was crystal clear not cloudy)
TA 130

I don't yet have the water temp but its way too cold to swim. I am also having trouble nailing down my water capacity. My pool is roughly 20x40 and goes from 3-9' but the sides in the deeper parts are not straight up and down.

Thoughts on these numbers? I keep my auto cover on it all the time when not in use or when not cleaning/testing the water. Water is crystal clear, smells like chlorine.

Congrats on your test kit!

As you know you need CYA add granular Stablizer to a sock and set it in top of the skimmer or in front of the return jet to disolve. Target 30 for now. It will take a week to show up on CYA test.

Was the water at least 70 degrees when you did the CYA test? If not do it again but let the water warm to room temp and then redo the CYA.

I would say your average depth is 6 so when I entered it into pool math I got 33,300 gallons
Your number is very close to that. I will let someone else confirm though

- - - Updated - - -

Also your salt is low. Should be around 3500 How did you test salt?

I used a K-1766 test kit for my salt test. It was well below 2,000 when I first opened it this year but I have brought it up a little at a time to where it is now. I had a goal of 3,200ppm in mind but need to get some more salt.

No, I don't think the water temp is 70 yet but a thermometer is on my list for sure!

Numbers look pretty good. Sometimes salt target numbers are printed on the SWG. If the water isn't in the mid-60s the SWG may not register the right salt level and might not make chlorine. Use bleach to maintain your chlorine level until it is working. Chlorine needs to be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times to prevent algae growth. Chlorine CYA Chart

Although it takes newly-added CYA about a week to show up on a test, after 24 hours begin dosing the FC level as though the CYA you just added is all in the pool. Use bleach if needed for supplemental FC dosing until the water reaches 70°F.

One question: when determining my Chem levels should I factor in the fact that the pool is covered from direct sunlight at all times it is not being used?

As I understand it, CYA is primarily there to protect the Chlorine from sun but where mine does not receive direct sunlight should I be considering lower (somewhere between indoor and outdoor pool ranges)?

Please elaborate. According to this site, my levels (3-3.5) are well within acceptable levels so why be concerned about the smell? Just trying to learn.

Please elaborate. According to this site, my levels (3-3.5) are well within acceptable levels so why be concerned about the smell? Just trying to learn.

Because Free Chlorine in the pool won't give much smell like when you go into a Hotel or somewhere with indoor pools. What that smell is...is Combined Chlorine. Free Chlorine that has been used up and is now combined with something else. It means there is something organic in your pool putting a load on the Chlorine, or you are building up CC with the cover one all the time. CC is taken away by the Sun just as FC is, and when it builds up, you can smell it. I think I mentioned earlier, you should give the pool some sun more often.

As for your levels, the FC at 3.0 max is ok with very low/0 Cya, but you won't be able to hold a residual with no Cya as the sun will take it away in the course of a day when it's exposed.

Not only that, but it's better to have some Cya in the pool as it also acts as a buffer, making Chlorine less harsh. I would run at least 40 PPM Cya and keep FC levels in check with that if it were mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! I would wait to add too much salt. Pooldv is right. Is the water it too cold it maybe inaccurate. I have a floating thermometer in the pool and a kitchen thermometer I double check the temp of my water I draw to make sure it is warm enough for CYA test.

As for the chlorine smell. You never want your pool to smell like chlorine. I know you keep your pool covered for safety, but if your pool can breath some the smell should go away.i believe if it smells like chlorine you can get CC's. I will let someone else elaborate more on that.

I'm going to retrieve a water sample and let it get up to room temp, then rerun the CYA test. I need to get it up to spec as it appears to be the one element that is way out of line. I also need to bring my TA down quite a bit without losing my PH.

Well, I took a water sample to the pool store and they confirmed that my numbers are correct. At least I know that I'm doing the tests correctly.

My CYA was in fact 0 so I am now adding Cyanuric acid to bring it into range...that will take a while. I opted to go with a liquid dose for quick results, followed by 2 socks full of the granular. That will not get me to 30 but once the socks are empty I'll refill them.

According to the pool calculator I needed about 3 gallons of CYA to bring it up to the minimum of 30. I only bought 1 gallon of the liquid so even after adding the whole jug I shouldn't be anywhere near the amount suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.