Pump motor AO Smith 1152 problems

May 24, 2015
Columbus, MS
I have a 1 1/2 hp AO Smith motor on a Hayward pump. I replaced the motor last year. This year it would hum and throw the breaker so I replaced the capacitor. It worked great for a couple of weeks, but now it hums and throws the breaker again. There are two metal contacts in a V pattern and if I press them with a screwdriver I see an electric spark and it starts right up. I have a picture but I'm not sure how to post.

I think the problem is with the contacts not engaging. Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to fix it. I haven't pulled the part yet because I thought I would check here for recommendations first. Thanks!

That's a centrifugal switch that makes contact with the run capacitor. There should be a little lever thing with a couple springs that push a little metal piece up into those contacts from the bottom. When the motor starts running, the metal piece is pulled away from the contacts by centrifugal force. Check and make sure the springs are on there, and it moves freely. Disconnect the power first of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.