blanchg - hello from Downunder via Mexico

May 24, 2015
Merida, Mexico
Hello all,

Aussie that has just moved into a rental place in Mexico for a year and it has a pool! That's great and a pool guy comes once a week! Excellent!

But it's hot and we swim every day and the pool turned green. The pool guy cleared it up in a few hours (don't know how because of my terrible Spanish....)

It turned green very quickly, so after reading on the internets I needed to shock I brushed the sides, and bottom toward the floor waste, dumped a whole heap of algae to waste then shocked with chlorine.

This took 1.5 days to get rid of the green, then another 2 days for the filter to get the water clear (it helped immensely reading here about how to backwash, rinse then filter). It's now crystal clear but has a high chlorine test result. (the scale is clear to weak yellow 0 - 3 and the actual result is a more of a smiley face yellow :()

I bought a very basic ph/chlorine test kit and want to get a decent kit. The biggest issue is postage here is abysmal so is there any local places that sell a decent test kit?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Last edited: