Helpppppp!!!!! Skimmer install

May 24, 2015
Lynbrook
Hi I'm new I have been taking care of my above ground pool for the past 5 years now with no real issues went to get my pool open today and notices a crack in the skimmer it was a harsh winter so i get it.... So i went to the store and purchased a hayward skimmer with wide mouth conversion I go to put it together and install it but it seems none of the screws go in all the way and i am turning with all that i got long story short its leaking so i have to start over what am i doing wrong. Thank you in advance for the help

Get a drill bit and pre drill holes to make it easier. My shoulder has not been the same since installing my wide mouth skimmer last year.

Sorry bout double post I knew I missed something seriously the instructions are no help

Well, seems like all instructions for the DIY'ers in regards to above ground pools LACK big time. Most of my knowledge comes from 7+ years of installing and caring for the pools I've had. I spent 5+ hours on mine, doubled up on gaskets and I'm still going to the Dr for my neck n shoulder. lol

Did you get your leak fixed?

Get a #3 Philips screwdriver after those screws. You are probably using a #2 as they are most common and it keeps slipping out on you. The #3 will give you the necessary torque and grip to finish seating the screws. How do I know this? Experience installing my Hayward skimmer. I tried using a #2 and had a little dribble of water no matter what I did. Broke out a #3 and "popped" them one more time and the leak sealed off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just re-installed my non widemouth skimmer (new liner).

1) Use a good screwdriver of the correct size.

2) I use LIBERAL amount of "pool lube" on all gaskets, fittings, O_Rings, etc. Leslies sells it in a tube. I buy 2 or 3 tubes of it a season.

3) If you use pool lube, get all of it off of your hands before you try and turn that screwdriver.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.