Sep 7, 2008
I just completed the process of adding borates to my pool. I tested after 48 hours and the level is right at 50ppm. The pH is about 7.3 or so (which is fine I believe) but my TA dropped to 40 - input? I know I need to add baking soda, but I was curious as to why it dropped.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice! :goodjob:

Normally, adding 50 ppm Borates will have the TA test slightly higher by around 5 ppm. If it dropped, then it might be that the pH dropped as part of your combined addition of Borax and acid. However, that would only account for a relatively small drop in TA -- going from a pH of 7.8 to 7.4 would drop a TA of 60 to 56, for example, so with adding borates the net TA change would be close to zero.

What was your TA level before it dropped to 40 ppm?

That's really strange. Are you using a drop-based TA test such as in the Taylor K-2006 (or 2005) or the TF100 from tftestkits.com? Other than some weird test interference (perhaps with test strips?) the only other thing I can think of is if you added acid before the borates and had the pH low for a time with some natural aeration, but that's a pretty substantial drop in TA. This seems to be a big mystery.

I am using the TF100 test kit. I adjusted the pH before I added the borates. I followed the directions exactly adding 1/2 the acid immediately followed by 1/2 the borax. I brushed then repeated the process with the other 1/2 of each and brushed again. Well, I'll add the baking soda and hopefully then all will be well. I've never added baking soda - does that only effect the TA level and nothing else?

Thank you! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.