Green mess, no cya need suggestions please. And happy Memorial Day

DSK

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Havre De Grace, Maryland
Hello, I have read a lot about slamming and will do that but also read it's good to have ph levels good before you start, so here is my short story. Opened pool today and it's a green algae mess. Low chlorine but high PH and no CYA. This is my second year of owning a pool and 1st time opened by me.

I started TFP method last year but still have a chlorinator hooked up and have pucks left so I loaded that up and also have 2 floaters in. I dropped my pool 3 feet during winter so lots of rain water in there. I know that the pucks will drop Ph some and add CYA. So my initial question is should I let the pool run with those for a while before trying to lower the ph with baking soda before I slam? I can't start the slam until the day after tomorrow anyway.
Thanks and Happy Memorial Day.

Ph 8.2
FC .5
Cc 2.5
Total 3 TC
Calcium Hardness test
Color is more pink then red
But got 200
TA 50
Cya no levels shown

First, you need to get your PH down to between 7.4 to 7.6, then test and adjust TA to around 60 or 70. Finally, and enough CYA to raise CYA to 30.

Then you need to SLAM you pool as described in Pool School. Using tablets isn't going to get rid of the algae.

So my initial question is should I let the pool run with those for a while before trying to lower the ph with baking soda

Just one thing. Baking soda doesn't lower pH. It raises TA and raises PH slightly. You need muriatic or dry acid to lower pH.

Well Thanks again, I added Muriatic acid last night going to check Ph levels when I get back tonight. will be getting TA and Cya up starting tomorrow morning. I have 2 days off and Thursday I can at least monitor in morning and evening so hope to be able to start slamming late tomorrow if i can get a hold of Liquid Stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Stabilizer Wal-Mart sells supposedly dissolves fast, although I have never used it myself, the stuff Lowes sells takes forever to dissolve, I have some in a sock now that is going on 3 weeks although I don't kneed is often, and 3/4 or more of it is dissolved now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.