Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green mess, no cya need suggestions please. And happy Memorial Day

1. Back To Top    #1

Green mess, no cya need suggestions please. And happy Memorial Day

Hello, I have read a lot about slamming and will do that but also read it's good to have ph levels good before you start, so here is my short story. Opened pool today and it's a green algae mess. Low chlorine but high PH and no CYA. This is my second year of owning a pool and 1st time opened by me.

I started TFP method last year but still have a chlorinator hooked up and have pucks left so I loaded that up and also have 2 floaters in. I dropped my pool 3 feet during winter so lots of rain water in there. I know that the pucks will drop Ph some and add CYA. So my initial question is should I let the pool run with those for a while before trying to lower the ph with baking soda before I slam? I can't start the slam until the day after tomorrow anyway.
    Thanks and Happy Memorial Day.

Ph 8.2
    FC .5
    Cc 2.5
    Total 3 TC
    Calcium Hardness test
    Color is more pink then red
    But got 200
    TA 50
    Cya no levels shown
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green mess, no cya need suggestions please. And happy Memorial Day

First, you need to get your PH down to between 7.4 to 7.6, then test and adjust TA to around 60 or 70. Finally, and enough CYA to raise CYA to 30.

Then you need to SLAM you pool as described in Pool School. Using tablets isn't going to get rid of the algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply Jason ,I understand that the puck won't get ride of the algae but was curious if they would be adding cya in quickly enough.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, they add CYA very slowly. Eventually, in a couple of weeks, they will have added enough CYA, but much better to just add what you need right now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So my initial question is should I let the pool run with those for a while before trying to lower the ph with baking soda
    Just one thing. Baking soda doesn't lower pH. It raises TA and raises PH slightly. You need muriatic or dry acid to lower pH.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Good catch.

Maybe have another read on the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Well Thanks again, I added Muriatic acid last night going to check Ph levels when I get back tonight. will be getting TA and Cya up starting tomorrow morning. I have 2 days off and Thursday I can at least monitor in morning and evening so hope to be able to start slamming late tomorrow if i can get a hold of Liquid Stabilizer.
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

8. Back To Top    #8

Liquid Stabilizer is expensive. I was able to raise my CYA to 25 or so overnight using multiple socks (I used filter savers) in front of returns. After a few days it balanced out to 30.
    26000 gallon Kidney shaped gunite pool. Older pool with deep dive well, nice diving board and tall slide. 31" Hayward pro sand filter with Pentair 1.5hp pump. Testing with the TF-100 plus test kit. Using a Dolphin Nautilus pool cleaner robot, next to bleach, my pools best friend.

9. Back To Top    #9

Im just pressed for time but may use granular.

10. Back To Top    #10

I found the Clorox brand dissolved very quickly. I forget what the first brand we used was, but it was a nightmare to dissolve.
    26000 gallon Kidney shaped gunite pool. Older pool with deep dive well, nice diving board and tall slide. 31" Hayward pro sand filter with Pentair 1.5hp pump. Testing with the TF-100 plus test kit. Using a Dolphin Nautilus pool cleaner robot, next to bleach, my pools best friend.

11. Back To Top    #11

The Stabilizer Wal-Mart sells supposedly dissolves fast, although I have never used it myself, the stuff Lowes sells takes forever to dissolve, I have some in a sock now that is going on 3 weeks although I don't kneed is often, and 3/4 or more of it is dissolved now
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Lowes used to have Kemtek but they have Clorox now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

In my area Walmart and Lowes both carried aqua Chem and both switched to clorox brand.

+1 for the clorox brand dissolving very quickly.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer