Sandy type substance on pool liner

I have an intex 22'X52" above ground pool. Last year our salt water generator went out and the pool got really nasty. We just drained it and are refilling it now. There is a sandy type substance on the walls of the pool liner. We weren't able I get that off. Does anyone know what that is and how to treat it? I read on an old thread somewhere that it could be mustard algea and to treat with bleach and muratic acid before setting the new salt water pump up... But not sure how much to use!! Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP!

If it were mustard algae it would brush off easily. Most likely it is calcium scale, though there are some other possibilities.

Using acid, even diluted acid, directly on the liner would probably remove it but is extremely likely to damage your liner.

I didn't scrub it very hard because I was afraid I would damage the liner. I can scratch it off with my fingernails. It goes all around the walls of the liner. I have just refilled the pool. Should I just go ahead and hook up the saltwater generator and add salt or run the bleach and regular filter first to try and clean it out? Another thread had suggested 2 gallons of bleach with regular filter first.

So should I go ahead and hook up the SWG and add the salt and cyanuric acid instead of the bleach treatment? I appreciate your help so much! I have never had this happen before. Last year halfway thru summer our SWG quit an we had so much trouble we just gave up. It turned into a green messy frog haven and when I got it all drained this weekend it had that crusty stuff all the way around the walls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is full and I added salt yesterday, ran regular pump then hooked up SWG. The stuff on the walls seems to be scrubbing off easier now. So not sure if it is mustard algea or calcium scale. Gonna try to brush the sides and get water samples this afternoon. I ordered the k-2006 kit- it should be here this afternoon for more accurate results. Using strips today. Any suggestions on what this is and how to treat it? Is it safe for swimming?

Pool is full and I added salt yesterday, ran regular pump then hooked up SWG. The stuff on the walls seems to be scrubbing off easier now. So not sure if it is mustard algea or calcium scale. Gonna try to brush the sides and get water samples this afternoon. I ordered the k-2006 kit- it should be here this afternoon for more accurate results. Using strips today. Any suggestions on what this is and how to treat it? Is it safe for swimming?
Your description that you need to scrub to get it off leads me to say calcium scale.

The "swimming" rule we use is that if the chlorine level is below shock and the water is clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end then yes, it's safe. You never want folks swimming in a cloudy pool where you would not wee them if they were having difficulty at the bottom of the deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.