Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sandy type substance on pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Sandy type substance on pool liner

I have an intex 22'X52" above ground pool. Last year our salt water generator went out and the pool got really nasty. We just drained it and are refilling it now. There is a sandy type substance on the walls of the pool liner. We weren't able I get that off. Does anyone know what that is and how to treat it? I read on an old thread somewhere that it could be mustard algea and to treat with bleach and muratic acid before setting the new salt water pump up... But not sure how much to use!! Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sandy type substance on pool liner

Welcome to TFP!

If it were mustard algae it would brush off easily. Most likely it is calcium scale, though there are some other possibilities.

Using acid, even diluted acid, directly on the liner would probably remove it but is extremely likely to damage your liner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't scrub it very hard because I was afraid I would damage the liner. I can scratch it off with my fingernails. It goes all around the walls of the liner. I have just refilled the pool. Should I just go ahead and hook up the saltwater generator and add salt or run the bleach and regular filter first to try and clean it out? Another thread had suggested 2 gallons of bleach with regular filter first.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If it is scale, as Jason Lion suggests, bleach or the SWG will have no affect.

Can you post test results? Particularly pH and CH and TA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not have results yet. Just filled it with fresh water. Will go get a test kit tomorrow. I have always taken my samples to the pool store to have it tested.

- - - Updated - - -

If it is calcium- is there any way to get rid of it? Is it dangerous to swim?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It is VERY unlikely you will find the K-2006 or the TF-100 kit locally. Do not buy the K-2005 it is NOT the same.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It is not dangerous to swim. It can usually be removed but it is a process that will take some time.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

So should I go ahead and hook up the SWG and add the salt and cyanuric acid instead of the bleach treatment? I appreciate your help so much! I have never had this happen before. Last year halfway thru summer our SWG quit an we had so much trouble we just gave up. It turned into a green messy frog haven and when I got it all drained this weekend it had that crusty stuff all the way around the walls.

9. Back To Top    #9

Which is best for pool with SWG the k2006 or Tf-100?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donnapatton2005 View Post
    Which is best for pool with SWG the k2006 or Tf-100?
    They used the same chemicals, so either will work with s SWG pool.

The TF100
    provides more of the testing chemicals that a residential pool uses. While the K2006 uses the same chemicals, it comes with different amounts based on what a commercial pool uses. You may find the K-2006 a little less expensive, but in actuality it will end up costing more when you have to reorder replacement chems.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool is full and I added salt yesterday, ran regular pump then hooked up SWG. The stuff on the walls seems to be scrubbing off easier now. So not sure if it is mustard algea or calcium scale. Gonna try to brush the sides and get water samples this afternoon. I ordered the k-2006 kit- it should be here this afternoon for more accurate results. Using strips today. Any suggestions on what this is and how to treat it? Is it safe for swimming?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Donnapatton2005 View Post
    Pool is full and I added salt yesterday, ran regular pump then hooked up SWG. The stuff on the walls seems to be scrubbing off easier now. So not sure if it is mustard algea or calcium scale. Gonna try to brush the sides and get water samples this afternoon. I ordered the k-2006 kit- it should be here this afternoon for more accurate results. Using strips today. Any suggestions on what this is and how to treat it? Is it safe for swimming?
    Your description that you need to scrub to get it off leads me to say calcium scale.

The "swimming" rule we use is that if the chlorine level is below shock and the water is clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end then yes, it's safe. You never want folks swimming in a cloudy pool where you would not wee them if they were having difficulty at the bottom of the deep end.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon