Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Seacoast, NH

pH Test

My pool was opened on Tuesday. The pH has been low, which is not surprising because I had to put a lot of tap water in because the water level was low due to a leak when it was opened.

I've put in half a box of borax and about 3 lbs of soda ash. The pH is up to 7.2, so I'm thinking it must have been a lot lower than the 7 it tested at at opening.

I just tested again (at 7.2) and left the test on the counter while I went outside and put in more soda ash. When I came back the color had changed and showed about 7.8. Is that to be expected? Is 7.2 the right number?

BTW, I have some very old test strips and used one to check the pH after the color change incident. It said 7.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: pH Test

The original color is the correct one. What happens when you leave the test sitting should be ignored.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School