Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising FC level with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising FC level with SWG

Hello,

I installed a SWG on Friday and I am trying raise my FC level for a barbecue tomorrow. My SWG is running at 100% and I am currently running my pump from 8 am to 8 pm. What do you recommend? Here are my numbers:

FC - 1 pm
    pH - 7.3
    TA - 70
    CH - 300
    CYA - 40 - (I am currently using the sock method to raise it to 75)
    Borates - 50
    Salt - 4000 ppm
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising FC level with SWG

Add some chlorine manually.

The SWG will probably get there eventually, but that could be days. A SWG is not designed to raise FC by a lot quickly and you need to be sure things are good tomorrow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I agree with JasonLion. It would be best to use bleach to raise FC since it needs to rise a lot in a short amount of time.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I would use bleach to raise the level to 10 anytime you expect lots of swimming.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Using the SWCG to raise FC will shorten the cell life. You're better off manually adding chlorine if you need to raise FC (I use bleach) and just use the SWCG to maintain the target FC level.

I learned this the expensive way. My first cell which I used to raise FC/"super chlorinate" lasted 4 years. The second cell which I just used to maintain target FC level lasted 7 years (I just replaced it three weeks ago).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Using the SWCG to raise FC will shorten the cell life. You're better off manually adding chlorine if you need to raise FC (I use bleach) and just use the SWCG to maintain the target FC level.

I learned this the expensive way. My first cell which I used to raise FC/"super chlorinate" lasted 4 years. The second cell which I just used to maintain target FC level lasted 7 years (I just replaced it three weeks ago).
    I am 1000% with you on this one.

I run my salt cell at 70-80% and supplement with LC if there is heavy use or the cover is going to be open for the sun to burn off chlorine. Both happen rarely and the 70% is enough to keep my FC where it needs to be. Using the super chlorinate will shorten the life of your cell.

Just make sure to pour into the pool in front of return. I would say you can use pool math just don't overshoot too far knowing that your SWG is still making chlorine.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois