Another pump/filter/ swg question...remodel edition.

JonathanD

In The Industry
May 20, 2015
Cape Coral, FL
Sorry for another repetitive post, but I am still a little unclear on what is worth it or not.

I am about to renovate my pool/deck and now I am looking at my pump/ filter/ motor set up, which look antique. Also seems to be a good idea to do it before the new pool surface so there is very little, if any, down time or learning curve while it is curing.

15,000 ish gallon pool, fully screened in, SW Florida, single suction, and no water accessories. Would like to be able to add a simple automatic vacuum in the future.

1. VS or 2 speed motor/pump? Assuming 1hp is more than enough. Will they work on the wiring from 15-20 years old or so?

2. I am leaning toward another cartridge filter.

3. To those who have gone the SWG route, do you ever regret it, and would you ever go back? I am new to the TFP advice, but it seems that you should go SWG if you cant add chlorine ever or every other day. Sometimes my schedule ends up with 2-3 days linked together so closely I wont have time to add chlorine. On the other hand...SWG is a pretty hefty upfront expense. Does is also mean I have to buy an additional computer to keep the pump and swg in sync?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

PS: I am looking to tackle this myself, I was a mechanic for about 5 years, my father also owned a pool company back in the early 80's...though just a little has changed since then. I am confident we are handy enough.

1) A two speed will cost a little less over it's lifetime in most cases, though a VS is going to be fairly close with the long pool season in Florida. A large VS is unlikely to work with old wiring, but some of the smaller VS pumps will be fine, as will any 2 speed you are likely to consider.
2) Filter type is a personal preference
3) Love my SWG, and would never go back. The SWG does indeed let you go a couple of days between adjusting levels in the pool (once you have things setup and working).

So it seems I already have 240v running to the pump.
I say this because I have a Intermatic T104m timer, which everywhere I look seems to be for 240v.
Which leads me to another question....
If I order this pump, http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432743556&sr=8-1&keywords=pentair+intelliflo, do I need a timer? Does it not have a built in system for timing and flow?
And besides a filter, which I have not decided on, I don't believe I will need anything else besides PVC.

I am going to tackle it myself, got a quote from the PB for $1350 for the inteliflo pump (installed) and $450 for a pentair clean and clear 150 sq ft filter (included installation with pump. So I can save roughly $500 and get to know my pool system intricately. For now the SWG is out of the budget/ convenience range.

No timer is needed for this pump, it can we wired directly to the breaker and controlled from its built in control panel. I have that pump and love it. It is a lot more pump than you need or I need. But, I love being able to control the pump speed to dial in the correct rate for skimming, solar panels, waterfall, etc.

I would lean toward getting a bigger filter like the C&C 320 or 420.

I have a 100sqft used and abused filter now that actually does a good job.The charts I see show a 150-200sqft are way more than enough and what I will probably end up with. The $200 or so jump to a 400 + sq ft filter do not seem worth it to me. Pool is only about 15,000 sq ft, screened in as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.