Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What percentage do you run chlorine production at?

1. Back To Top    #1

What percentage do you run chlorine production at?

I'm a new pool owner, and the pool has a Jandy Aquapure SWCG.

My pool is currently running at 90%, is this what most people do?

14.5K gallon IG plaster pool, 1K gallon spa, dual 2hp Jandy pumps, 60 sqft DE filter, 400K BTU NG heater. Dual waterfalls, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Polaris cleaner with 3/4 HP pump, Aqualink RS. See my pool here.

Thanks!, Austin

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What percentage do you run chlorine production at?

Every single pool is different. The only way to find out what is right for your pool is to measure the FC level, if it is low turn up the percentage, if it is high turn down the percentage. Over time you can zero in on the correct setting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I saw the water balancing article after I posted that, so I guess I'll just have to test the FC.
    14.5K gallon IG plaster pool, 1K gallon spa, dual 2hp Jandy pumps, 60 sqft DE filter, 400K BTU NG heater. Dual waterfalls, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Polaris cleaner with 3/4 HP pump, Aqualink RS. See my pool here.

Thanks!, Austin

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not familiar with the Jandy AquaPure, but if it's properly sized for your pool, I would say 90% is going to be way to high. I have the Pentair IC40 and the most I ever have to run it is 40%, with 20 to 30% being more the norm. I'd set it at 50% and see were that gets you. You may want to check your chlorine daily till you get it stable.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been real happy with the new Aqua Rite T-15 I just put in. Last summer had to run old one at 75%. Started the new one at 50% and now down to 12% but watching daily for FC to drop. CYA is 30-50. Pool is 45,000.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Huh. Well, I havent really moved in to the house yet, and the owners left it on this, I just go to the house on the weekend to move boxes and stuff into it. I guess I'll have to get a test kit and see what's going on.

Thanks!, Austin

7. Back To Top    #7

Just read your pool info. If they've been running those waterfalls with any consistency, then they may have to run it at 90%.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ned8377 View Post
    I've been real happy with the new Aqua Rite T-15 I just put in. Last summer had to run old one at 75%. Started the new one at 50% and now down to 12% but watching daily for FC to drop. CYA is 30-50. Pool is 45,000.
    Isn't it recommend running a 70-80ppm CYA for a SWCG ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi Scott,
    here is some useful reading for you both regarding setting up your SWG and the recommended levels to maintain your pool. Im sure you will have a lot more questions so please feel free to post them when they come up.

TFTestkits.net is an excellent resource for a top notch test kit, which you will definitely need. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck.

Here is a link to recommended levels. If you will keep your chemistry balanced to these recommendations, you will not have any problems with it.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels

Here is a link to the Chlorine/ CYA chart. You want to maintain your chlorine relative to the CYA level. This is the 1st building block of good pool chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Here is a link to the Pool Math calculator. Its invaluble in determining how much of something you need to add
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

this should get you started... as time permits, please click on teh Pool School Button at top of the page, its really important sort of understand at least what some of the things are, such as TA, Calcium content, CYA, etc and the ABC's of Pool Chemistry will get you started.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

The pictures of your pool are impressive. All things considered, that is easily close to a $100,000 pool including all the decking and extras. I noticed, though, that there are a lot of trees hanging over the water and the rocks have a lot of crevices where algae can grow. That may explain why they were running the SWG so hard.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

The three main variables is speed of pump, run time per day and a salt cell that is sized properly. Then just use a systematic approach to dialing it in. You will probably be checking the FC everyday until it's fine tuned.
    My pool likes 1200 RPM, approx 6 hours a day at 40-50% desired output with current weather conditions. Mid to late summer usually requires 60% output
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).