Digital Nano SWG, failing cell 1.5 years old?

MPFit

May 24, 2015
Largo, Florida
14,000 Galloon pool, 1.5 year old PoolPilot Digital Nano SWG seems to not be producing Cl. CYA at 70, FC and TAC both 0. Been doing Liquid Cl for a few weeks getting the rest of the chem to optimal ranges before I chalk it to a dead cell. Volts at 3, amps at 5.2. Salt level 3200. All seems great- minus no Cl generation. Visual inspection is fine, no caking, cell looks good. I'm no expert on any of it but like to be hands on: tested all myself with home kit and then brought to store for verification I'm not a total doofus hah. Any ideas?- I've tried to get power level up; at 100%, but 'Installer Menu' doesn't have any options to increase power level- just a DEMO MODE, and the rest is the same as owner options menu..? Any ideas?- SLAM it?

Welcome to TFP!

Could you double check your volts and amps reading. The numbers you posted should be impossible. The volts/amps reading is the best way to see if the cell is nearing the end of it's lifetime.

It is also worth doing a visual inspection of the cell. If you see any white chalky stuff on the cell plates, the cell needs to be cleaned.

Cell is perfectly clean. No caking.
Just turned pool on, 85 degrees, 2V 5.0A. Waited a few minutes: Cell: 1V 5.0A. Amp Hours 11510.
Does this point to anything? Summer usually brings pretty serious algae, and considering my house backs up to a Nature Preserve and a lake, I've usually had summertime algae blues (except last summer-- first SWG summer and it did great!)

I wonder if you have a short somewhere. Amps should never be that high when volts are that low. The only way I can imagine that happening is if there is a short somewhere. The most common kind of short would be something metal arching across the cell plates. However some kinds of damage to the cell cable could cause the same thing.

Your Amp Hours reading indicates that the cell should not be anywhere near the end of it's lifetime.

I would expect the voltage to be around 15 to 20.

I was doing some searching and found one other user reporting very low voltage with reasonable amps and no chlorine being generated, but they never figured out what was happening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Odd, went from higher Volts with extension cable from breaker, and went back to receptacle it's been running from with low voltage-- and it's now reading 14V 5.2Amps on the receptacle it wasn't getting enough volts from previously. Maybe pulling the fuse and plugging back in caused a better connection? No clue. Will keep an eye on it as the Cl levels drop from my 'safety shock' that I did as I have been anticipating the SWG to be down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.