Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Digital Nano SWG, failing cell 1.5 years old?

1. Back To Top    #1

Digital Nano SWG, failing cell 1.5 years old?

14,000 Galloon pool, 1.5 year old PoolPilot Digital Nano SWG seems to not be producing Cl. CYA at 70, FC and TAC both 0. Been doing Liquid Cl for a few weeks getting the rest of the chem to optimal ranges before I chalk it to a dead cell. Volts at 3, amps at 5.2. Salt level 3200. All seems great- minus no Cl generation. Visual inspection is fine, no caking, cell looks good. I'm no expert on any of it but like to be hands on: tested all myself with home kit and then brought to store for verification I'm not a total doofus hah. Any ideas?- I've tried to get power level up; at 100%, but 'Installer Menu' doesn't have any options to increase power level- just a DEMO MODE, and the rest is the same as owner options menu..? Any ideas?- SLAM it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Digital Nano SWG, failing cell 1.5 years old?

Welcome to TFP!

Could you double check your volts and amps reading. The numbers you posted should be impossible. The volts/amps reading is the best way to see if the cell is nearing the end of it's lifetime.

It is also worth doing a visual inspection of the cell. If you see any white chalky stuff on the cell plates, the cell needs to be cleaned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cell is perfectly clean. No caking.
    Just turned pool on, 85 degrees, 2V 5.0A. Waited a few minutes: Cell: 1V 5.0A. Amp Hours 11510.
    Does this point to anything? Summer usually brings pretty serious algae, and considering my house backs up to a Nature Preserve and a lake, I've usually had summertime algae blues (except last summer-- first SWG summer and it did great!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder if you have a short somewhere. Amps should never be that high when volts are that low. The only way I can imagine that happening is if there is a short somewhere. The most common kind of short would be something metal arching across the cell plates. However some kinds of damage to the cell cable could cause the same thing.

Your Amp Hours reading indicates that the cell should not be anywhere near the end of it's lifetime.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll check the cables and as much of hardware as I can. Always have lizards and things living in the housing of electronics and what not. Thanks for the helps- I'll keep you posted with any finds.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's been running an hour- now at 4V and 5.1 Amps. No visible shorts, does that sound better? Will run an extension cord from garage to unit to see if there are any changes.

7. Back To Top    #7

Same receptacle different plug has it bouncing between 8V and 5A, and 6V and 5.3A. Checked connections of cable. Purifier at 100%, but I have some Liquid Chlorine already dosed in pool. Will check Cl content in a day.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would expect the voltage to be around 15 to 20.

I was doing some searching and found one other user reporting very low voltage with reasonable amps and no chlorine being generated, but they never figured out what was happening.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. Will do a test with an extension cord later. Then may have to replace Cable if still not doing it. Time will tell!

10. Back To Top    #10

You do not state what your salt level is. Many units will stop producing chlorine if the salt level falls below a certain threshold.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

Salt level was in the first message.
    Quote Originally Posted by MPFit View Post
    Salt level 3200.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes 3200. Found an ancient thread searching for the cable- from here.. That the guy had a blown fuse on the mother board. One of two: so I'm pulling the cover now and will investigate! Cheap fuse would be great hah

13. Back To Top    #13

Fuses look fine. Well, fuse. Did the extension cord test and got up to 14V 5.1Amps. May need to get Power guys out here.

14. Back To Top    #14

Odd, went from higher Volts with extension cable from breaker, and went back to receptacle it's been running from with low voltage-- and it's now reading 14V 5.2Amps on the receptacle it wasn't getting enough volts from previously. Maybe pulling the fuse and plugging back in caused a better connection? No clue. Will keep an eye on it as the Cl levels drop from my 'safety shock' that I did as I have been anticipating the SWG to be down.