Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water finally clear what to balance first

1. Back To Top    #1

Water finally clear what to balance first

Good afternoon,

I finally have my water clear, pool has passed the ofcl test since Tuesday night/Wed morning & the sand filter finally cleared the last of everything out today.

I am wondering in what order to start balancing things

Cl 8
    CC 0
    Ph 6.9
    TA 20
    CH 240
    CYA 20
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water finally clear what to balance first

Raise pH first. If you have any leftover pH up, use that. Otherwise, hunt down some washing soda.

Then raise CYA using the sock method.

Then recheck pH and TA and fine tune.

See Recommended Chemicals for what does what and how to add it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water finally clear what to balance first

Thanks Richard, no one around here sells washing soda anymore, I have Borax & baking soda.

I will get the Ph up with borax & then add 1/2 the recommended baking soda & re-test.

My pool is in shade most of the day so I have always started the season with a CYA of 20 & use trichlor pucks when I go on vacation, keeps the chlorine level down.
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4