Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pricing and Sourcing CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Pricing and Sourcing CYA

As the title states, what is the best price and source for CYA? Best I could find was 25 lbs for 68 dollars online.
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pricing and Sourcing CYA

I like the Walmart brand in 4 lb. jugs with a purple measuring cap. Dissolves really well. I think 4 lbs. was 16 bucks.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

25 lbs for $68 is a very good price.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't need a large quantity, Lowe's has 4 lbs for about $17.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

I buy mine at Lowes, since it is only generally lost through water replacement and not evaporation, there is no real need to stock up

p.s. why would you want 25 pounds anyway, that would send your CYA to 120 ppm assuming a fresh fill, which is nearly double the suggested level for an SWG pool and three times the suggested level for a manually dosed pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

If you Google "25lb stabilizer" you can find the same thing for $53.99 from backyardpoolsuperstore.com. If you buy $100 of merchandise from them, shipping is free. Might be worth it if there's something else pricey they sell that you need.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    I buy mine at Lowes, since it is only generally lost through water replacement and not evaporation, there is no real need to stock up

p.s. why would you want 25 pounds anyway, that would send your CYA to 120 ppm assuming a fresh fill, which is nearly double the suggested level for an SWG pool and three times the suggested level for a manually dosed pool
    Buying in bulk generally always lowers the cost of the goods being purchased. Just because you buy 25 lbs doesn't mean you can't save it for next season

My pool always seems to need CYA every opening.

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin View Post
    If you Google "25lb stabilizer" you can find the same thing for $53.99 from backyardpoolsuperstore.com. If you buy $100 of merchandise from them, shipping is free. Might be worth it if there's something else pricey they sell that you need.
    Thats where I found the listing for $68. For some reason the other result didn't show up earlier. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two are the containers. One being a bag vs a plastic bucket with a lid. At $2.15 a pound that is the best deal I've seen by far.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

so the next question would be, does CYA lose like chlorine? if its sits in a bucket for 2 years will it go bad?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

I've had CYA stored in a shed for 2 seasons with no problems. I suspect the shelf is pretty long as long as it's kept dry.

Ah....just found this;

http://www.bpspool.com/MSDS/Accessor...ric%20Acid.pdf

It says, "Shelf Life Limitations; Unlimited"
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    so the next question would be, does CYA lose like chlorine? if its sits in a bucket for 2 years will it go bad?
    When I first started out I asked the same question and I believe the response was as long as it is stored in an appropriate place it will last without issue. I cannot confirm but that is what I remember.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

well that makes it easy, 25 pounds...

I went though over 100 items and after being on this site the only thing we would need is CYA just crazzzzy

Pool Chemicals
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

thats a very good price. It comes out to 2.72 lb.

Walmart is the least expensive in store price that I personally run across, and it equates to 4.00 lb.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!