Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Baking soda to increase TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Baking soda to increase TA

Hello,

This is my first post. I am trying to get clarification on the correct method to use baking soda to increase my TA. A video on youtube states to add the baking soda to the skimmer, all while leaving the pumps running. Another website stated that I should turn the pumps off before adding the baking soda and turn the pumps back on after 2 hrs. Can anyone tell me the proper way? Thank you!
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Baking soda to increase TA

I sprinkle it in the deep end while the pump is running. If it's clumpy, I premix it in a bucket with pool water and dump it in the deep end while the pump is running.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Brian, good to have you with us!

Was your TA pretty low I guess?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

This page will help you. It needs to be dissolved in a bucket of pool water.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    This page will help you. It needs to be dissolved in a bucket of pool water.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    Huh? The link you provided says;

"...Baking soda can be added by spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool...."

I've always just broadcasted it across the pool, breaking up any clumps that make to the bottom of the pool (pump on, btw).

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything you would normally add to a pool that requires you turn the pump off. Quite the opposite, you want the water circulating so whatever you're adding gets thoroughly mixed in.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The pump should always be running for any chemistry additions. Baking soda dissolves quite easily so it is one of the few things I put in the skimmer. Slowly pour it in, where it then goes to the filter and is quickly dissolved and returned to the pool.
    Huh? The link you provided says;

"...Baking soda can be added by spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool...."

I've always just broadcasted it across the pool, breaking up any clumps that make to the bottom of the pool (pump on, btw).
    I'm not quite sure how these two methods are different....broadcasting across the pool or the deep end, either one. As I indicated, Baking Soda is probably the most benign chemical to add so very few problems.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! You guys are great! My TA was 70ppm. I have owned the pool for a year and I had it balanced pretty good, in my opinion. Last week, I got lazy and put (5) 3" chlorine tabs in the dispenser (I usually only put 3-4 tabs). Anyway, this week I was checking the chemical balance and I found the TA to be 70ppm. It hasn't been that way ever. I guess the extra chlorine lowered my TA
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

8. Back To Top    #8

There is one more difference that I read online. It was regarding sodium bicarbonate, which I believe is the same as baking soda. They used the term sodium bicarbonate. The site stated that you should only add 2.2lbs of sodium bicarbonate per 11K gal every 4 days. This is the same site that stated I should add the sodium bicarbonate while the pump is off. When they stated that the pump should be off, that's what threw me off and got me on this forum.

Is there a max amount of NaCO3 or baking soda that you guys use per application or do you dump the entire amount needed at one time?

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are actively managing very high CH levels you don't want to raise TA by too much at once. For that matter, you probably don't want to raise TA at all.

But most people can add as much baking soda at a time as they want.

Never add any chemical with the pump off unless you don't have any choice in the matter (i.e. pump broken or no electricity).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's the second reference I came across where someone states that you should have the pumps turned off when adding baking soda. Sorry, I can't remember the first one but this second one is from a guy who I see often on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k33qPS50mU

11. Back To Top    #11

Didn't watch the vid, but really no reason to turn the pump off when adding chems. I can't think of one anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Never add any chemical with the pump turned off. You can damage your pool.

You need the rapid mixing you get with the pump turned on. Otherwise you will get extreme chemical swings at the location where you add the chemical, swings that can frequently be extreme enough to damage the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    The pump should always be running for any chemistry additions. Baking soda dissolves quite easily so it is one of the few things I put in the skimmer. Slowly pour it in, where it then goes to the filter and is quickly dissolved and returned to the pool. I'm not quite sure how these two methods are different....broadcasting across the pool or the deep end, either one. As I indicated, Baking Soda is probably the most benign chemical to add so very few problems.
    I was just pointing out that the link provided doesn't indicate that bicarb needs to be predisolved in a bucket.

I agree that what the link says and what I've always done is essentially the same thing.

Sorry for the confusion.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    My TA was 70ppm. I have owned the pool for a year and I had it balanced pretty good, in my opinion. Last week, I got lazy and put (5) 3" chlorine tabs in the dispenser (I usually only put 3-4 tabs). Anyway, this week I was checking the chemical balance and I found the TA to be 70ppm. It hasn't been that way ever. I guess the extra chlorine lowered my TA

Ok I may be missing something, but if your TA was 70 & you added tabs & your TA is still 70 why are you trying to raise your TA?
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Funk View Post
    Ok I may be missing something, but if your TA was 70 & you added tabs & your TA is still 70 why are you trying to raise your TA?
    Because TA should be between 80-120ppm. At least that is what I have been told by pool school. Also, the manual that came with the test kit says the same thing

16. Back To Top    #16

Here's the second reference I came across where someone states that you should have the pumps turned off when adding baking soda. Sorry, I can't remember the first one but this second one is from a guy who I see often on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k33qPS50mU
    That's a great video. Almost as good as the fail compilations. I don't know if he said a single thing that was accurate. Also, clean-pool-and-spa.com? Did you see the pool? If mine looked like that I'd put koi in it. Follow the recommendations of this great site, and your pool will never look like his example pool.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, thanks for taking time out to look at the video. I have been looking over this forum for the last 2hrs. A lot of good info. I thought that my pool looked good but after seeing some of the pools here, I'm getting jealous. I have always kept my pool balanced to what the levels should be but I don't get that "clear light blue" look. I wonder if it's the shade of my Pebble Tec stones.

18. Back To Top    #18

The pool finish will determine what the water color looks like. If it is balanced correctly, it should almost look empty in the evening with the pump off, and shimmer in the daylight with the pump running.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Because TA should be between 80-120ppm. At least that is what I have been told by pool school. Also, the manual that came with the test kit says the same thing

This is what I see when I look at the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in pool school

"TA - Total Alkalinity - Appropriate levels help keep the PH in balance. High levels can cause PH to rise. (60 to 120, sometimes higher)"

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

I'm with the less is more approach, especially in regards to TA, CH & CYA, I can always go up if I need to but those 3 are a pain to lower, if I'm not having problems & the numbers are in range I do not mess with them.
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Funk View Post
    This is what I see when I look at the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in pool school

"TA - Total Alkalinity - Appropriate levels help keep the PH in balance. High levels can cause PH to rise. (60 to 120, sometimes higher)"

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

I'm with the less is more approach, especially in regards to TA, CH & CYA, I can always go up if I need to but those 3 are a pain to lower, if I'm not having problems & the numbers are in range I do not mess with them.
    I guess I should have been more specific when I said pool school. I meant the pool school that my pool builder assigned to my project. I'm not saying that he's correct and the forum is incorrect. My test kit is the Pentair Rainbow. The manual states that TA levels depend on your sanitizer:

Liquid chlorine, Calcium Hypochlorite, Lithium Hypochlorite: 80-100ppm
    Dichlor Granules, Two-part Bromine: 100-120ppm
    Gas Chlorine, Trichor Tablets, Bromine Tablets: 120-140ppm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast