New pump and filter help needed!

May 7, 2014
Mid-Michigan
New to the forum. This is the third season with our pool. It is a 20x40 igp about 35000 gallons. Getting the pool up and running this spring has been terrible. My sand filter is pumping sand into the pool, and having trouble getting the water clear.

I need to replace the sand filter and would like to go to a cartridge filter and might as well try to save a little on my utility bill and get a new pump while I'm at it. Was thinking and clean and clear 420 for the filter, but not sure what to do for the pump. Still pretty new with the pool game and would like to get things sized right for my pool. Any help or suggestions on a filter and pump would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ok so if you don't have any water features, almost any pump will do and the smaller the better from an energy usage perspective. The filter is a good start and if you like Pentair, a good paring is the SuperFlo 1 HP 2 speed pump.

But give your location, do yourself a favor and put it a filter bypass and vacuum to waste functionality. This will make it much easier to open a pool with a cartridge filter. They tend to clog up quickly when opening a pool and it is a good idea to kill all the algae first in filter bypass and then vacuum the dead algae to waste so you don't have to clean the filter multiple times.

Also I don't have a good test kit. I've been getting by taking samples in to the pool store. I'm intrigued by the BBB method but I'm a little intimidated and not sure how to start.

Don't be intimidated- take it slow, read pool school again, order the TF-100. Follow Marks advice and look at Craig'slist if your considering replacing the sand filter. I got a huge deal on my current DE filter. $125- for the heater, filter & Multiport valve. Even if I would have had to replace the grids it was a major savings over new.

I really like this guys videos- https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDgvb1

[QUOTE But give your location, do yourself a favor and put it a filter bypass and vacuum to waste functionality. This will make it much easier to open a pool with a cartridge filter. They tend to clog up quickly when opening a pool and it is a good idea to kill all the algae first in filter bypass and then vacuum the dead algae to waste so you don't have to clean the filter multiple times.[/QUOTE]

Can you post a pic of what that bypass would look like? I would like to plumb in the new pump and filter myself. A pic or link would help. Thanks.

How is this:

Filter%20Bypass%20Plumbing.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The filter size (420) you mentioned above is fine for that size pool. Bigger is nearly always better when it comes to cartridge filters. As for brands, I have no particular favorite. All seem to be similar in reliability so go by price. On the Hayward side, I like the MaxFlo 1 HP 2 speed (SP2307X102).

But I forgot to mention that you can just swap out the motor of your current pump for a two speed if you want to go that route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.