New Pool Build in Dallas

Aug 24, 2014
Dallas TX
Been stalking TFP for a couple months, and really appreciate the wealth of information here. I started a pool build in Dallas in April, and we are pretty much to the point of plastering - hopefully week after next. The electrician finished up on Friday, and this week is the fence installation. Some random questions:

1. We have blue tile, and are thinking to go with a blue plaster, with a little bit of "granularity" in it. The plaster guy mixes it himself, vs. buying it from a commercial plaster company. Is this acceptable?

2. There is a multicolor LED light in the bid. But if we go with blue plaster, will the colors in the LED light seem odd, when reflected on blue plaster?

3. I have an electric rate plan that provides "free" usage from 9pm until 6am. I think pool pumps typically run 4-6 hours a day - can this all be at night, or at least between those hours? Would be great not to have to pay any additional electric.

4. Does a heat pump in Dallas/north Texas provide any additional weeks to the swim season here? I didn't add one to the bid, because it can be installed at any time - so can add in the fall if needed.

Pool particulars: 25k gallon (I think) rectangular pool - about 3.5' on the shallow end, and 8 feet on the deep end - 16x36. No spa - very simple design.

Welcome to TFP. I'll take a couple of these...

Question 2: Kinda' hard to say. If you are concerned and there is still time to change it, I would inquire as to the cost difference between the multicolor LED and a regular LED. Would also price out a regular halogen light for comparison. It's been a while since I looked at the cost difference between LED pool light and halogens, but if there is still a large price difference, I would go with the halogen unless you plan on having the pool lights on every evening.

Question 3: Unless your pool will be SWG, you may not need to run the pump for 4-6 hours per day. It also depends on whether your pump is single or multi-speed. As a reference, I usually run my pump (a single-speed) for 30-40 minutes a day, although I do make allowances for events like pool parties where I run it much longer. Check out this article for more info: Determine Pump Run Time

Deepwater, I have LED lights in my fiberglass (blue) pool. It comes programmed with a variety of colors, and I have the option to keep one color stationary. Overall they are nice. And while there may be one or two colors I don't really care for, the LED lights seem to compliment the pool's blue color and make it nice to have at night.

Here around San Antonio, we may get an extra month or two out of having a heater installed, but not really worth it for us. I suspect your cooler winter temps might effect your decision, but it's really a personal choice based on how long throughout the year you anticipate swimming. Since it can be added later, perhaps just wait and see how much you all actually swim for a season and go from there?

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

You should definitely get a 2 speed or variable speed pump. I love my intelliflo pump. It runs my waterfall, SWG, solar panels, filter, the whole deal. Water flow is infinitely adjustable. I run my SWG and skimmers at 1100 rppm and the pump draws 150 watts. Very cheap to operate.

We installed solar panels te second season because our pool is in shade a lot of te day and was not staying 85 and up like we like it. The biggest difference solar made for us is recovery after rain. It runs sometimes even in August. As for the "adding time to the season" question that everyone always asks they always get the same answer "it depends". There are so many factors to swim season, temps, wind, rain, clouds. There are times in April/May/September/October when you would want to swim if the pool were warmer and times when you would not. Every season is different every year. This spring is crazy. Bottom line is that with solar panels I get to swim more often and my pool is warmer than it would be without the solar panels. I have been debating whether to get a heat pump for years. Still don't have one.

We went no spa with our pool as well. We added a stand alone spa a year and a half ago on the covered patio and it is great. Getting in the hot tub all winter rain, snow or shine is awesome. and it is a lot cheaper, more efficient and comfortable than a gunite spa.

I would change 3-1/2' to 4'. 3-1/2 is really too shallow for us. Hold a tape measure up to everyone to see what you think.

Thanks for the replies!

BoDarville - it's another $400 for the LED. Thanks for the link on pump operation - I'll dig into that.

Texas Splash - That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well - use it for a season, and then decide. Seems to be 50/50 up here in Dallas.

Pooldv - The pump is already installed... It's a single stage - PB said the cost difference didn't justify it for our install, as we have only cannon jets. I didn't think to ask about a variable up front - oh well. I like the idea of solar panels, except for hail - has that not occurred at your house, or do they weather the hail well?

Adding a pic - can you tell it's been raining?

Pool 052615.jpg

I think I recognize your blue tile - I love it! If it's the one I think it is, it will look great with any water color.

The rebar rods add a nice touch! Just kidding - mine are still sticking up, too. Ahhh, I'm going to miss them when they're gone....

I can't wait to see more progress and more pictures!! Take care. Suz.

Nice Pool! I love it. That was what I initially wanted but my wife and PB made me get what I got. Which is not terrible either. :)

No issue with hail on the solar panels. The are pretty tough.

Thanks Suz! Hopefully the rebar will be gone by the weekend... and we will have a fence, and maybe decking... If it doesn't quit raining, I'm going to pump out the pool, seal the holes, and call it an Ark.

Pooldv - I think we have the same pool tile. I looked at your build thread - yours really turned out nice! What color/type of plaster did you use?

So we passed all the inspections, and have the plaster team ready to plaster on Friday-Saturday. The pool builder recommended Durazzo plaster - it's an expensive upgrade, but he says well worth the extra cost, in terms of longer lasting and better feel than pebble surfaces. Apparently they put it on one day, and then come back the next with a grinder and sand off the top layer. You're left with a smooth surface.

Any thoughts or experience with Durazzo?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.