Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward filter valve problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward filter valve problem

I have an above ground pool with a Hayward sand filter. The problem is the Hayward valve on top of the filter Vari-Flo XL valve model #SPO714TI

the problem is the the valve will not drop back into its full operation position after switching it from one position to another. This alows water to be discharged through the waste position. I have pulled the top for the assembly apart several times cleaned it. After I reassemble it, it dose not seat as it should. I see no obstructions and can not figure out what is keeping it from setting a proper seat to the assembly. When it is off there is full travel and no play in the Handel but as soon as I assemble it, the handle is loose and has play in it thus not seating.

Thanks
    Alan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward filter valve problem

Welcome to TFP!

There should be a spring inside the valve that holds the handle in place. It sounds like that spring has broken, or otherwise gotten misplaced.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward filter valve problem

The spring is fine and in place.

for some reason the bottom plate will not fully travel to its set position.