New to Pool ownership and to this forum.

Rat98

May 24, 2015
Corryton, TN
Start off I would like to say I'm new to pool ownership. Having one installed next week. Been waiting a few weeks for it. lol. We are getting a 18 foot above ground with Perma-Salt system, 2 speed motor, sand filter. ( hopefully will help with my Psoriasis.) if not seems like a simple enough system to use. (open for comments on that) My prior experience with pools is n/a. so I've been reading quite a bit of info on here. I would like to thank everyone for the information posted on here. Very educational and entertaining...
With that I do have a few questions.
1. The pool store I purchased from said I really only need a cover during winter. Is that true or should I purchase a cover?
2. Anyone have any suggestions on budget friendly websites/stores for pool accessories..?
3. Any good advice on the Perma-Salt system? other than removing it... lol... I've read the threads
4. What is the absolute must haves for newbie pool owners..?

Thanks in advance...
-Jon

Welcome to TFP!

We strongly recommend not using the Perma-Salt system, and all other copper based pool chemicals.

1) There are two kinds of covers: winter and solar. There is no need for a winter cover except in the winter. A solar cover will help keep the pool warmer in the spring/fall, but is not essential.
4) At a minimum you need a pole, brush, either a manual vacuum or pool cleaner, and a pool leaf rake.

Welcome to the forum.

(1), Personal choice if you'd like to use a solar cover in the summer.
(2.) We mostly use grocery/hardware stores around here for pool chemicals. Google for toys and such.
(3). You already know what we think! Good researching on your part.
(4). One of our recommended test kits and knowledge.

Thanks for the welcome and the answers. our install got pushed ahead and they installed yesterday. Headed to pool store tomorrow for the dreaded water test. My pool came with the vacuum tube a net and a vacuum brush for cleaning... also came with a AquaChek pool test kit... tossing it and getting the tf100 kit... so far the pool is awesome... had a bunch of fun putting together the ladder... and as far as the pool leaf rake... is that like a left handed hammer or a Boogaloo valve.? Lol I like the humor...

Welcome to TFP!

Rat98 said:
Headed to pool store tomorrow for the dreaded water test.
I wouldn't bother. You won't need to hang around on this forum long to see that we are not fans of pool store testing...mountains of evidence on its inaccuracy. Best thing you can do is order the TF-100 now and test as soon as you get it. For the short term, dose the pool with 2 ppm chlorine using plain unscented liquid bleach- use Pool Math to determine the dosing amount.

and as far as the pool leaf rake... is that like a left handed hammer or a Boogaloo valve.?
A leaf rake is similar to a pole skimmer, but instead of a flat-mesh surface, it is a bag-like, fine-mesh net that can hold a much larger volume of leaves than a pole skimmer.

Well I went ahead and took my water in for a test.. ordering the test kit next payday. Figured I would share the results and what they sold me as far as chemicals. Just mainly wanted to make sure everything is good for my son's upcoming birthday party this weekend...
here's the numbers
free avail chlorine 0
total chlorine .05
combined chlorine .05
ph 8
total alkalinity 135
calcium hardness 197
copper 0
iron .1
manganese 0
nitrates 0
total disolved solids 270
phosphates 0
saturation index .6
endure 0

So for those levels they sold me
3 lbs. Of ph minus
2 bags of salt
3 lbs. Of potassium monopersulfate

Instructed me to run pump on high for 8 hours with perma salt set on 3 after adding stuff and run pump 4 to 6 hours per day then bring another sample in friday.
I just want the pool to be safe for the kids...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just want the pool to be safe for the kids...

So do we.
PH at 8 and chlorine at 0 is not safe. And I'm sure you have seen plenty of posts on TFP discussing how inaccurate the pool store tests tend to be.

We have posted the recommended chemistry levels and recommended pool chemicals above. But, here is the short version in case you haven't clicked the links and read them yet.

Water is safe to swim when:
The chlorine level is between the minimum level and shock level for your pool's CYA level on the Chlorine / CYA Chart
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

Not sure how much you paid for the potassium monopersulfate but you could have used bleach instead for a few dollars.

Please add your pool info in your signature so that we can better answer your questions as shown here: Read This BEFORE You Post

From Pool School
Potassium Monopersulfate
A non chlorine oxidizer or 'shock'. It is acidic and will cause lower pH and TA. It adds sulfates to the water. Will not break down CC but helps prevent it from forming when used on a regular basis. It will interfere with TC and CC tests unless special reagents are used in testing since it WILL test as CC! A good choice to use in indoor pools that are not exposed to sunlight but really has no advantage in an outdoor pool. It is only an oxidizer and NOT a sanitizer and should not be used as such.

Sorry about the signature thing... guess it doesn't work with the app on my phone.

As for the potassium monopersulfate (referenced as PM) rest of my post...
Only reason I am using it is due to my ignorance at pool store by purchasing perma salt system. Should have researched first... I have added liquid chlorine from Ollie's since last post and ordered my test kit. Hated going to pool store for water testing but part of package when we bought was first month of chemicals were included. Since that is ending soon. I am going to post new numbers as soon as my kit comes in. Remove the perma salt system and hope and pray I can get all my numbers where they are suppose to be... PM will no longer be used... glad I didn't buy the big bucket they wanted me to...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.