Getting there, but need some advice!

golf261

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Saga of my pool started last year - I was lazy and didn't stay on top of everything. Removed light and what a mess! We were leaving for an extended vacation and closed pool slightly cloudy and an empty light niche, so I was expecting an issue when we opened. Opened last Sunday to low ph, no CYA, and obviously no FC. Did a first ever deep clean of filter and was surprised it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Anyhow got pH up with Borax, started adding stabilizer to get CYA to 50 (pool in sun most of day), and started with 12.5% bleach. Water was greenish and couldn't see bottom of shallow end. Have been SLAMMING all week and water is now cloudy blue, can see entire bottom of pool. Have brushed daily and vacuumed. My TA is higher than usual but usually runs high, around 150, but I don't have much trouble with pH fluctuations. Readings as of this morning:

ph = 7.5
FC = 22
CC = 1.0
TA = 200
CH = 625
CYA = 50

Since I still have a CC of 1.0, should I continue on the same course until I can get that down and then work on TA and CH? I hate the thought of draining water for calcium since I just got CYA up, but I do wonder if that is contributing to the cloudiness?

Thanks for your help!

Continue Slamming. You arent done with that yet.

Generally for a vinyl pool, there is not any need to maintain CH, expet if its is exceptionally high, which your is. Pools of any type are subject calcium scaling if you dont maintain pH and especially so with high CH like you have.

Good news is that you do not need to drain the water.

If you will simply maintain your pH and not let it get above 7.8, then theres no reason to worry about your CH.

I am curious however how the CH got that high? Any idea? Did the pool store have you adding Caclium Increaser? Have you been shocking with Cal Hypo? Is the high CH naturally occring in your tap water?

Good advice from AZgirl and DD. I would emphasize keeping your pH down in the lower range of acceptable (7.2 - 7.5) that will help assure you don't have calcium scale issues. Continue the SLAM until you meet the criteria AZgirl suggested...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

My fill water, which is city water, is hard. I checked the calcium in it and it measured 325. Haven't been to a pool store in years except to buy parts or liquid chlorine! I always use liquid chlorine; used to use Clorox but didn't like lugging all the bottles to recycle:)

I have never paid much attention to the calcium hardness and I don't remember what it was last year. I probably checked it at the beginning of the season and that was it.

I have always been fanatical about checking my water and maintain the pH at 7.5. Late last year was the first time I slipped, and that will not happen again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.