Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, pool specs are in my signature.

The other year I replaced my pump with a 2 speed SP2607X102S.

I still only have 1 wire going from my pump to my Automation hookup, so I have to manually switch between low and high speed.

Problem is that on low speed, the heater won't flip on, it just says flow, so there was almost no point to buying a 2 speed if the heater won't flip on and I don't think there is a way to automate it so that it flips to high speed when the heater needs to run.

The pressure on low is 5, and the pressure on high is 15.

Is there something I could possibly be doing wrong?

The only way I can get the heater to flip on when on low is if I close the valve for the 3 return jets in pool and the valve for the 2 pool stair jets together at the same time.

Check the manual for the automation system and see if it is capable of switching your pump speed. Also, you could check with the heat pump manufacturer to see if they have a recommendation for using their heater with a 2 speed pump. Maybe they have a different flow switch that can be used. Do you know where the flow switch is located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heat pump wont work on low speed either, the 2 speed pump was a waste of money.

So far that's how I feel, I never even get to use the low speed, would be nice since it is is quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the manual for the automation system and see if it is capable of switching your pump speed. Also, you could check with the heat pump manufacturer to see if they have a recommendation for using their heater with a 2 speed pump. Maybe they have a different flow switch that can be used. Do you know where the flow switch is located?

I don't even know what a flow switch is :)

So far that's how I feel, I never even get to use the low speed, would be nice since it is is quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even know what a flow switch is :)

Therein lies the problem. You'll either have to do a lot of studying or call the manufacturer. Everybody starts somewhere. It depends on your mechanical/electrical aptitude. If you want/need to learn something, you can. The Internet is a great tool. Use it.

The SP2607X102S is a 1HP Super pump. The Heat pump is recommended to have about 47 gpm and no lower than 30 gpm. This is to protect the heat pump from low flow. Not recommended to adjust the pressure switch as it could cause damage to the heat pump. On low speed this pump will pump between 5-44gpm depending on the head pressure. A larger two speed pump like a 2HP two speed would do the trick. In this instance I like the variable speed as you can dial it in.

I spoke with Hayward support. I got some good feedback.

For the two-speed pump is wired to the Filter Pump relay for high speed and to Aux relay for low speed, then the Aqua Logic is set to control a two speed pump.

In the Aqua Logic's Config Menu, Filter Config should be set to 2-speed, and Heater Config should be set for 'Allow Low Speed' = Disabled.

During default operation, high speed mode is used whenever the heater is on.

So this answer my question but unfortunately it's not a perfect way to use the low/high efficiently.

I leave my pump on 24/7, if this were efficient, the pump would switch to high speed when the heater kicks on and then switch back to low when it doesn't use a device requiring it.

In my case, I set my pool to 80, so my heater will always kick in to keep it at that temp. With this restriction, I have to set my heater on a schedule, so let's say 9-5, but it would be set to high even if my temp was already at 80.

Outside the 9-5 schedule, I would have a 2nd schedule that runs on low.

Does any other system of what I'm asking or has someone found a better way? Not that I would upgrade for this, but I'm just curious if there are more intelligent units.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.