Draining and starting over, advice appreciated.

Jul 7, 2013
We drained our pool yesterday to about 12 inches. The water that was left was very, very green but we got most of the trash out. My husband put about 10#'s of granulated chlorine in and the water has cleared but it's real cloudy/white. My question is, do I test the water now (it's at about 18/20 inches now) or wait until it's full and we turn the pump on. We also have a bad scaling issue going on on the sides of the pool walls, I'm hoping once we get the water right it will help dissolve some of that. Advice appreciated. Thank you in advance.

refilling the pool will not solve any calcium scaling. Thats a difficult situation with vinyl liner. If its indeed calcium scaling, then a muriatic acid bath is in order for you.
The scaling is a result of poor chemistry. Particularly, high pH.

The best advice we can give you is.
1. Do not listen to pool store advice - period.
2. Get yourself a reliable test kit . Either a Taylor K2006 or the TF100 and SLAM the pool. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
3. Read up in pool school, start with ABC;s of pool chemistry. You arent expected to learn it all to start, and we are here to help answer any questions you have.
4. Print out the Recommended Levels and abide by them. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels
5. Learn how to use Pool Math. Its invauable, and like everything else on TFP, it;s free. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
6. Maintain your FC based upon CYA level http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
7. See #1.

I have the Taylor test kit but I am out of the CYA test fluid ( I have some ordered) so I will have to use a strip until it comes. I will test when full and go from there. I did use the bleach method last year but at the end of season our pump went out so that is why I am in trouble now. We just let it go over the winter and my husband thought the quickest fix was to throw chlorine in it. Hoping to get it right this season! Thanks guys.

I appreciate all advice given. I had to unexpectedly leave town for a week because of a death in the family. Luckily the pool survived and didn't turn green again. It's blue but very, very cloudy. These are my numbers as of this morning:
FC-1.5
CC-0
PH-7.4
Alkalinity-150
CYA I'm guessing is between 15-20. I ordered the liquid but have now misplaced my tube so I used a test strip.

My question now is do I bring my CYA up before I SLAM the pool? I looked at the pool math and think I have it figured out...maybe...

Also, where can I get just a replacement tube for testing CYA? I looked on Amazon and Ebay to no avail.

The six way kit at Wal-Mart has a cya tube if you cannot find a cheaper option. What was your cya before you drained the pool and have you added any? I think we can calculate how much cya you have if you know what you had and how much water you drained and how much CYA you added. Since it's cloudy, you need to keep the chlorine at shock level. The CC looks good.

Sorry for your loss.

hi again Chrystal,
Sorry to hear about your family member. Good karma going out to you.

you can get a new test tube at TFTestkits.net

Yes, bring up the CYA to 30 for slamming.

we recommend using granualar CYA because its way less expensive than the liquid kind. To add granular CYA,
Fill and old sock or 2 with the appropriate amount of CYA to get you to 30. Use pool math to tell you how much. Tie the ends closed and let the socks hang from your pool pole in front of a treturn.
You can also add one to the skimmer basket.
Squeeze the socks now and then to help the dissolving CYA escape into the water.

Dont let the socks rest against the pool wall. Keep them suspended in the water. CYA is after all, a light acid and letting it rest against a wall or on the bottom can leave an ugly stain that you wont be able to remove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.