troubleshoot sta rite system 3

May 24, 2015
ny
I have a 11 year old system 3 S8M 150 which was poor performing (cloudy water) and replaced cartridge with new OEM cartridges$$$ last year. When I vacuum the bottom I get cloudy water, when I use my Polaris I get cloudy water. All indications are failed cartridge. I checked every inch and cannot find hole. The strapping is disconnected in a few places but do not see damage. The seam is intact on both and looks good. I checked housing they sit on no cracks. I checked o rings and they are in place (did not change but wrapped some pervlex tape around temporarily and no improvement. The bleed tub is tight in hole with screen intact. I hate to think I have to buy a new cartridge but don't know what else to do. Is there anything I'm missing? I notice my pressure is low 6psi but thought it due to being new. Was thinking or removing one at a time plugging port to see if I can isolate it to a cartridge, I'm going to try to put a hose in the cartridge opening with rag and see if I can detect something but not sure if that will help. Is there anyone who has any ideas? I called sta rite no help, they said check for tears and position on the mounting. I was going to switch to DE when I bought cartridges but the cartridges were the cheapest option (400.00) and I thought it was a good filter.

Welcome to TFP!

Do you see cloudy water coming out of the returns while vacuuming? If so that is a clear sign of a problem with the filter. But if the cloudiness spreads out from where you are vacuuming and the returns don't look any cloudier than the rest of the pool then that is fairly common and not the fault of the filter.

I have a 15 year old System 3 and I believe the cartridges are the original. I think the cartridge filter material is pretty sturdy so hopefully you just have a seating issue.

When I first tried to remove the heavy outer cartridge for cleaning I had a heck of a time prying it out of the housing. I still have that problem even thugh I've removed the cartridges for cleaning half a dozen times since we bought the house. I think the cartridges being difficult to remove means they are mounted properly in their housings.

When you are replacing the cartridge in its housing it is important to make sure you have the correct allignment by making sure the arrows on top of the cartridge are pointed in the right direction (towards the water inlet IIRC). Also press down and slighty rock the the cartridge so it pushes down fully into the housing.

I was concerned the fit seems loose i feel the o rings on the two fittings. I just oredered two new o rings. I did try to seal this area using a film of material wrapped around housing and pressed cartridges down onto enlarged fittings. I thought this to be the problem but same result when vacuming. This weekend I will remove cartridge clean and inspect and also remove the support fitting and check for cracks and fit into cartridge. Thanks for all the support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.