pH and Alkaline

Apr 8, 2015
Waukesha, Wi
I have an intex 18 x 48 pool (5455 gal) with SWG. I tested the water and the pH is at 7.8 and TA is showing 200 with test strips. I put in a pH reducer a few days ago, but no change. All the other chemical levels and chlorine are good. Any suggestions?

I would suggest a Basic Taylor K1000 test kit and a Taylor-TF100 FAS/DPD kit at a minimum. The strips are terribly unreliable. If you didn't mind spending a little more to get a full kit, then a Taylor K2006 or TF100 kit would be my suggestion.

You pH is right at the high limit of what we recommend. I would focus on maintaining pH over TA. Think of pH as the main tuning knob that selects the desired channel and TA as the fine-tuning knob that brings the selected channel into sharper focus.

I would also recommend getting a proper test kit such as one of these Recommended Test Kits. A proper test kit is the price of admission to follow our practices. The multi-test strips do not have the precision needed to properly follow our methods.

First suggestion would be ditch the test strips and invest in a recommended test kit. Test strips are not a good reliable testing source.

Don't use PH down. You can lower TA by using muratic acid. It will lower your PH. You can read about it in pool school. Basically you lower PH to 7.2 which also lowers TA. Your PH will rise through aeration. Once it gets back to 7.8 you respect the process. Again your test trip testing could be lying to you.

+1 on that test strip being worthless. You could stick your finger in the water and hold it up to the wind and get just as good a test result.

I can attest to that! My test strips were telling me my TA was around 40. Had my friend test everything with his TF-100 kit and it was actually 170! Other items were off as well.. I now my have my own TF-100 and I'll go back to strips! Even now for giggles I'll test the water with the strips to see how off they are and sure enough... they are always off!

Paul.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.