Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH and Alkaline

1. Back To Top    #1

pH and Alkaline

I have an intex 18 x 48 pool (5455 gal) with SWG. I tested the water and the pH is at 7.8 and TA is showing 200 with test strips. I put in a pH reducer a few days ago, but no change. All the other chemical levels and chlorine are good. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH and Alkaline

Get muriatic acid from Homedepot or Lowes. Do not get the "Safety" or "Low Fuming" versions.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-2x1...8-HD/100119310
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_206474-34228...ductId=3024039
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I would suggest a Basic Taylor K1000 test kit and a Taylor-TF100 FAS/DPD kit at a minimum. The strips are terribly unreliable. If you didn't mind spending a little more to get a full kit, then a Taylor K2006 or TF100 kit would be my suggestion.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

You pH is right at the high limit of what we recommend. I would focus on maintaining pH over TA. Think of pH as the main tuning knob that selects the desired channel and TA as the fine-tuning knob that brings the selected channel into sharper focus.

I would also recommend getting a proper test kit such as one of these Recommended Test Kits. A proper test kit is the price of admission to follow our practices. The multi-test strips do not have the precision needed to properly follow our methods.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

First suggestion would be ditch the test strips and invest in a recommended test kit. Test strips are not a good reliable testing source.

Don't use PH down. You can lower TA by using muratic acid. It will lower your PH. You can read about it in pool school. Basically you lower PH to 7.2 which also lowers TA. Your PH will rise through aeration. Once it gets back to 7.8 you respect the process. Again your test trip testing could be lying to you.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on that test strip being worthless. You could stick your finger in the water and hold it up to the wind and get just as good a test result.

Here is the process for lowering TA if you still want to, Lowering Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    +1 on that test strip being worthless. You could stick your finger in the water and hold it up to the wind and get just as good a test result.

Here is the process for lowering TA if you still want to, Lowering Total Alkalinity
    I love your analogy!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I can attest to that! My test strips were telling me my TA was around 40. Had my friend test everything with his TF-100 kit and it was actually 170! Other items were off as well.. I now my have my own TF-100 and I'll go back to strips! Even now for giggles I'll test the water with the strips to see how off they are and sure enough... they are always off!

Paul.
    15 x 30 oval above ground pool. 38,000 liters (10,000 gallons), Kodiak Salt System with Clearwater Technology SWG,
    Hayward Sandmaster SM2106TW Sand filter, 225lbs Design Flow rate 44gpm
    Hayward Vari-flo SP0714TC Multi-port valve, Hayward SP5715W 1.5hp pump single speed
    LOTS and LOTS of @!%@! trees!!!